The usual academic entrance requirement is a first degree in psychology, medicine, social work, occupational therapy, nursing, or an equivalent professional qualification, from an approved university, of 2:1 standard or above. If you have a non-degree nursing qualification, this must be equivalent to an undergraduate PG diploma. Experienced mental health professionals who do not meet these entrance requirements may sometimes be individually assessed and considered for admission on a discretionary basis. International students are required to have the equivalent of a minimum IELTS score of 7.0 in English language prior to starting the programme.
Months of entry
This Postgraduate Diploma CBT for Anxiety and Depression is a year-long training programme in evidence based CBT for mild to moderate anxiety and mild to severe depression. The programme is run in line with national Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) guidelines and is open to High Intensity IAPT trainees and others wishing to develop specialist skills in these areas.
This programme offers students the opportunity to develop their CBT skills and knowledge to the level of a competent CBT practitioner. All the listed modules are core to this programme and must be taken over one year. While a University Diploma requires 120 CATS points, the IAPT Diploma requires more in order to comply with IAPT curriculum and BABCP Level II accreditation.
Typical course content - CBT for anxiety and depression (IAPT) diploma modules:
- PSYC6104 CBT Theory and Skills I;
- PSYC6088 CBT Theory and Skills II;
- PSYC6105 CBT Placement;
- PSYC6095 CBT Supervision 1: Introduction to Evidence-Based Treatments for People with Axis I Problems (Anxiety and Depression);
- PSYC6107 Evidence based treatments for anxiety disorders;
- PSYC6096 CBT Supervision 2: Disorder-Specific Treatments for people with Anxiety Disorders;
- PSYC6089 CBT for Depression;
- PSYC6097 CBT Supervision 3: Evidence-Based Treatments for People with Depression;
- PSYC6103 CBT Portfolio
For further information, please visit our website.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Social, Human and Mathematical Sciences
- +44 (0)23 8059 5108 or 8059 3578