We welcome applications from students with a good undergraduate degree in a relevant social science subject (upper second-class or higher) or equivalent.
If you have a lower second-class undergraduate degree, you may still be eligible for admission to one of our masters programmes if we are satisfied that there is sufficient evidence of upper second-class quality in your work (judged by the range of your marks, the mark awarded for your dissertation and/or the quality of your references).
Months of entry
Developments in global and international politics have significant consequences for how states interact with each other, how they maintain security and avoid conflict, and how they deal with complex issues such as migration and the emergence of new global powers. The MSc in International Politics degree from the University of Southampton enables you to expand your understanding of contemporary global and international politics, while also honing research skills which are highly valued by employers.
Graduates from this MSc are well placed to pursue careers in both national and international political institutions and organizations, think tanks, advocacy organizations, the civil service, and further research.
The programme is designed both to equip students to undertake independent research in international politics and to develop skills that are of relevance to a broad range of careers in the public or private sector.
The aims of the programme are to provide you with:
- knowledge and understanding the main approaches to the study of international politics
- knowledge and understanding of the main issues and events that challenge contemporary understandings of international politics
- knowledge and understanding of philosophical and methodological debates in the study of politics and international relations
- the skills necessary to design and complete a dissertation on a specialist topic in the field of international politics
Information for international students
For applicants whose first language is not English, the IELTS requirement will be an overall score of 7 with at least 6.5 in each category.
Fees and funding
Please see the funding page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions Enquiries