Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Months of entry
Do you enjoy maths and have a passion to help young people enjoy it too? Our PGCE in Mathematics prepares you to teach young people aged 11 to 16 across Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4. At the University of Southampton, you’ll learn the skills and knowledge to teach mathematics with confidence.
Learn how different teaching approaches create a fun and inspired learning environment for mathematics. You'll train in two secondary schools across Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset to build on your practical experience and grow your professional network.
By studying PGCE Mathematics you'll:
- critically assess different teaching styles and resources to develop your own methodology and set of teaching skills
- train to work within a range of different schools
- consider different ways of learning mathematics and how this impacts teaching
- understand how to overcome current challenges in mathematics education
You’ll teach mathematics within the National Curriculum framework and Secondary Curriculum. Your tutors and mentors will help your personal and professional development as you'll get the support you need throughout your learning.
Qualified Teacher Status is awarded for the 11 to 16 age range, the majority of schools in our partnership serve cohorts to match this age group. Trainees are also appointed to posts in the 11 to 18 sector for their NQT year and you may also get the opportunity to teach older students.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- 023 8059 2413