UK bachelors degree with GCSEs (or equivalent) in English language and mathematics at
grades A*-C/9-4, a clear (or approved) enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check and a satisfactory health check.
Months of entry
Would you like to teach in a Further Education or Sixth Form setting? Our PGCE FE will prepare you to plan, deliver and assess excellent lessons in a wide range of subjects.
• Train to teach in the FE learning and skills sector. This will include FE and sixth form colleges and possibly adult training environments
• Develop your skills in planning, delivering and assessing learning activities
• Experience a wide range of up to date approaches to teaching and learning
Places are available to applicants wishing to teach a wide range of academic and vocational subjects, in colleges and sixth form.
Our students learn about session planning; key theories of teaching and learning; behaviour management; diversity and inclusion; effective use of ICT; and the development of literacy and numeracy.
You’ll develop your practical teaching skills and your understanding of education theory. Splitting your time between college, University and independent working. Throughout the course, you will receive feedback from experienced tutors to support all aspects of your development. You will also undertake a short research project aimed at an aspect of teaching.
• Study the theory and practice of education from the perspective of learners, teachers, administrators, policymakers and other key stakeholders in the system of formal education
• Achieve Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS – FE) status
• Become equipped with the knowledge; understanding and skills that you need to allow you to begin to develop as a professional educator
• Evaluate theoretical and research-based evidence to extend your knowledge and understanding and to allow you to reflect critically upon your own personal and professional values
The programme allows you to experiment with different approaches and techniques within small groups during informal and interactive sessions held each week at the university. You will be provided with verbal and written feedback on each aspect of the course to encourage you to improve your practical teaching skills and academic writing whilst working towards each module.
The PGCE FE course aims to provide students with the tools needed to become a reflective, research-led teacher who is able to critically analyse their own practice through training – and onto their teaching career.
Information for international students