Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A good 2.1 Honours degree in any discipline or significant professional or other relevant experience alongside evidence of prior alternative learning such as professional qualifications or certifications.
Months of entry
The TESOL MSc with a Specialism in English for Academic Purposes - Distance Learning gives students with an interest in this field the opportunity to integrate the theory and practice of teaching English to speakers of other languages, with a particular focus on teaching academic English. EAP is a growing discipline and English is considered the lingua franca of academia. There is a strong need for evidence-based training and development in the practical teaching skills needed for this diverse and dynamic field.
- Develop knowledge and skills in academic discourses, materials design and assessment of EAP.
- Join experienced practitioners and scholars in the English language teaching community, with opportunities to be involved (in person or online) in ongoing professional development events and the annual English for Academic Purposes (EAP) conference.
- Take a specific EAP module, conduct research in this area as part of an Action Research module, and choose a dissertation topic to research further into the field of EAP.
- Integrate theory and practice – discuss theoretical concepts and frameworks in small groups and in online forums with the students studying both in St Andrews and by distance learning around the world, and apply these through practical assessments and peer teaching sessions.
- Focus your studies in your particular area of interest, and gain a better theoretical and practical understanding of the challenges and opportunities related to teaching EAP.
Fees and funding
There are a variety of funding options available for postgraduate students. For more details visit our website.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24-60 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- International Education Institute
- +44 (0)1334 46 2255