- A minimum of a second-class Honours degree or equivalent (2.1 degree or equivalent preferred) in a relevant subject with a minimum of six years professional experience in a relevant context and/or
- A Masters qualification in a relevant subject with a minimum of three years professional experience in a relevant context (merit degree or equivalent preferred)
- Applicants without these formal qualifications but with significant appropriate work/life experience are encouraged to apply
Months of entry
A highlight of our doctoral studies programme is the unique DDipl (Doctor of Diplomacy) degree. It is unique because it is specially designed for working professionals and is taught at a range of venues, often with direct input from senior practitioners. The course is delivered by the University of Stirling in collaboration with its partner, the London Academy of Diplomacy. The course was devised jointly by Stirling and LAD staff to brings together best practice in academic learning and professional expertise.
A unique feature of the face-to-face aspect of the course is weekend seminars allowing maximum opportunity for discussion of key issues, linked with the use of multiple study venues in London, Brussels, Moscow and Washington DC, to name just some.
The DDipl consists of two parts. The taught part will last two academic years for a full-time students. In their final year, PhD candidates will complete a thesis in which they will reflect on pertinent issues of diplomacy in light of the theory and conceptual knowledge they have gained over the course of their degree as well as independent research.
Information for international students
- IELTS: 6.5 with 6.0 minimum in each skill
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): Grade C
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): Grade B
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): 60 with 56 in each component
- IBT TOEFL: 90 with no subtest less than 20
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Doctor of Diplomacy (DDipl)
Course contact details
- Professor Holger Nehring
- +44 (0)1786 467590