During the application you'll be asked for the following:
- your full contact details
- transcripts and certificates of all degrees
- proof of English language proficiency if you're applying as an international student
- two references, one of which must be academic
- funding or scholarship information
- research proposal of 250 to 1,000 words in length, detailing the subject area and topic to be investigated
By filling these details out as fully as possible, you'll avoid any delay to your application being processed by the University.
Months of entry
We offer an MRes in creative writing.
You can study the MRes full-time, over a year, or part-time over two years.
You'll create a piece of imaginative writing in collaboration with a successful, published author.
You can specialise in one of these genres:
- imaginative non-fiction
The length of your project can be negotiated with your supervisor, but will usually be around 30,000 words. This includes 5,000 words of personal reflection on your writing.
You'll also take a research skills methods with other postgraduates in the department of English. This gives you the chance to socialise with students on other courses and to learn how to present your work in public.
Your project should show:
- understanding and consistency in your project and its accompanying critical analysis.
- a good understanding of the genre developed and appraised
- the use of relevant and appropriate language to the genre developed and appraised
- a clear understanding of narrative or other formal strategies adopted
- awareness of literary / historical / theoretical context appropriate to the project.
- clarity, economy of expression, avoidance of vague generalisations.
- evidence of independent thought and imagination
Fees and funding
For funding information please see the website.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- HaSS Graduate School
- 0141 444 8400