Normally, a first or upper second-class Honours degree from a UK university (or equivalent overseas qualification) in any civil engineering discipline.
Applicants with a degree in environmental engineering, earth sciences, maths, physics and mechanical engineering may also be considered.
Lower degree classifications might be considered if there is strength elsewhere (for example, relevant work experience, excellent final project/dissertation, very strong academic letter of reference, very strong application statement linking with career goals.)
Months of entry
Engineering graduates are in high demand from recruiting companies worldwide.
This course has been designed to meet the needs of a broad range of engineering industries. As a Masters student, you’ll gain the specialist and generic skills necessary to lead future developments.
This one-year MSc in civil engineering is suitable for graduates with a background in any discipline of civil engineering. Applicants with a degree in environmental engineering, earth science, maths, physics and mechanical engineering may also be considered.
You can graduate with an MSc in Civil Engineering or choose to follow a specialist named stream:
- Civil Engineering with Structural Engineering & Project Management
- Civil Engineering with Geotechnical Engineering & Project Management
- Civil Engineering with Geoenvironmental Engineering & Project Management
- Civil Engineering with Water Engineering & Project Management
For more information please see the course page.
Information for international students
For candidates whose first language is not English, minimum standards of written and spoken English are an IELTS minimum overall band score of 6.5 (no individual test score below 5.5). Applicants with slightly lower scores have the opportunity to attend the University's Pre-Sessional English classes to bring them up to the required level.
Fees and funding
* Postgraduate taught engineering students domiciled in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channels Islands will receive a £3,000 scholarship towards the cost of their fees (applies only to students not already in receipt of any other fees scholarship).
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Philippe Sentenac
- 0141 548 4751