An upper second-class (2.1) undergraduate honours degree or above in law, criminology or a related subject.
Months of entry
Criminal law and criminology lie at the heart of questions and debates on how we as a society should respond to crime. On this course you’ll study an exciting range of topics, covering theory, policy and practice.
Our research expertise informs our teaching on the LLM. You’ll be taught by lecturers who specialise in critical work in areas including:
- criminal law theory
- comparative criminal justice
- international crimes
- financial crimes
- human rights and criminal justice
- youth justice
- policing and restorative justice.
Our course also draws on expertise from the Department of Sociology, which will enable you to develop an interdisciplinary perspective.
- Engage in advanced criminal law theory and, separately, criminological theory to examine how societies can better understand and effectively respond to crime.
- Study in a lively and interdisciplinary intellectual environment, giving you the advantage of a wide-ranging knowledge set.
- Learn from experts in their fields – our faculty publish journal articles, books and public reports shaping the fields of criminal law, criminal justice studies and criminology.
Our core modules give you the necessary theoretical, methodological and empirical foundations. They cover:
- criminal law
- criminal justice
- research methods.
Our options – from both law and criminology – are taught by specialist academics based on their areas of expertise.
Teaching methods include lectures, workshops and seminars. Assessment modes include essays and briefing papers as well as a 10,000-word dissertation.
Information for international students
English language requirements
English Language Support
Don’t have the English language level for your course? Find out more about our pre-sessional courses.
Visas and Immigration
Fees and funding
Postgraduate Masters Loan
Borrow up to £10,000 to contribute to your postgraduate study.
Our aim is to ensure that every student who wants to study with us is able to despite financial barriers, so that we continue to attract talented and unique individuals. Find out more about our range of Masters Scholarships.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Enquiries
- +44 (0)1273 876787