Minimum entry requirements
MA Screen: Directing entry requirements are:
- An Honours degree in acting, drama, directing, theatre studies, dance, or a relevant art and design discipline; OR
- A level 3 Diploma from a recognised professional drama or dance school (e.g. a member of Drama UK or The Council for Dance Education and Training); OR
- An Honours degree in a discipline other than those listed above plus demonstrable performance-related experience, either professionally or within an amateur or student context; OR
- At least three years' appropriate professional experience as a performer, director or writer.
English language requirements
All classes are conducted in English. If English is not your first language you will be asked to provide evidence of your English language ability in order to apply for a visa, enrol, and start your course. The English language requirement for entry for this course is:
- IELTS 7.0 with a minimum of 6.0 in any one paper, or equivalent.
For further information visit the English Language requirements page.
Applicants who will need a Tier 4 General Student Visa should check the Visa and Immigration page which provides important information about UK Border Agency (UKBA) requirements.
What we look for
We are looking for students ready to take on an extremely demanding profession, who are mature and self-confident, and who are willing to take criticism and turn it to their advantage while preserving a sense of humour. You'll need to be resourceful and committed to following a postgraduate programme of study that's screen-oriented, exploratory and geared to the needs of the profession. We aim to interview all eligible applicants.
MA Screen: Directing is aimed primarily at graduates and mature students who can apply a high degree of independence to their learning. Successful candidates bring to the course an understanding of drama in its various contexts plus an ability to work autonomously for sustained periods with the necessary focus and resilience. As MA Screen: Directing puts a strong emphasis on collaboration within an ensemble, you're expected to show openness, flexibility and generosity in the context of the creative group.
The vocational nature of MA Screen: Directing implies a high degree of proficiency at entry. We do, however, balance this against perceived potential, especially where we identify a clear understanding of the profession and a realistic view of career development and employment prospects.
Your application, interview, film discussion and directing exercise will be assessed for:
- High level of intellectual engagement
- High interactive awareness and adaptability
- Confident, sensitive and flexible collaboration
- High awareness of and interest in screen
- Personal creative vision
- Basic technological awareness.
Months of entry
This postgraduate course prepares you for work in film and television and related fields by bringing together the key artistic disciplines and skills needed to make high quality filmed drama. You will explore in detail Stanilavisky's unique scene study methodology which lies at the heart of Drama Centre’s conservatoire training. From storyboard to working on the subtext with the actors on set you will be enabled to develop your own distinct artistic voice.
At the heart of MA Screen: Directing is the growth of individual creativity, achieved through constant opportunities for working on camera-based projects with colleagues from other pathways. You will work on two filmed productions, in our film studio and on location. Supported by a professional producer, director of photography and editor. You will take an active part in a Mike Leigh type devising project where you will help shape the story's stimulated by the characters that the actors develop over nine weeks of intense rehearsal. You will understand the rhythm of a working film set and develop the confidence to use your own voice on future projects, confident in the knowledge that you know how to work creatively with actors. You will be given in depth preparation for the profession including interview technics and wide range of lectures from visiting professionals, such as agents, casting directors, working producers and directors.
Distinctive features of MA Screen: Directing are:
- An insight into actors' conservatoire training.
- A performance-led approach to recorded drama
- A company operating model
- The acquisition of a deep understanding of the processes leading to the creation of high quality films
- A quasi-professional learning model that prepares you for direct entry to the world of work
- The realisation of new writing or adaptations through performance-led models
- A focus on the technical aspects of production
- A mentoring scheme connecting students with experienced professionals.
Information for international students
Our International Office deals specifically with the needs of students from overseas. Tel +44 (0)20 7514 7027 / email@example.com
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- The Information Office
- +44 (0)20 7514 7023
- +44 (0)20 7514 7254