Honours or ordinary degree with relevant practice experience. You must be employed full or part-time within an education setting
Months of entry
The Master of Education: Critical Enquiry is a three year part-time online programme for professionals working in education settings. Participants build on their skills in reflective practice to critically engage with educational theory, research, policy and complex professional issues.
The programme utilises a collaborative approach to online learning, with learning activities designed to develop teacher agency, support professional dialogue and develop critical enquiry to inform practice. Participants choose the focus of their work on each module to fit with their professional interests and responsibilities. The collaborative learning activities support participants to work together on practice and develop creative responses to professional issues.Special features
- The course is fully online allowing you to fit your studies around your personal and professional commitments;
- You will have the opportunity to develop your professional skills;
- Specifically you will use theory to reflect on practice; critically reflect and engage with a range of professional issues and develop your collaborative skills and work as an effective member of a team;
- You will carry out educational enquiries and research in your workplace;
- There is an induction day in June when you will meet fellow students and hear the outcome of education enquiries from students already on the course.
PgCert: Introduction to Critical Enquiry, Policy and Practice, Collaborative Enquiry.
PgDip: School based research approaches, Critical reflection and enquiry, Teacher Agency and professional practice.
MEd: To achieve the award of MEd you must submit a proposal for and complete an educational enquiry project.
Locations - This course is available online with support from:
Argyll College UHI, West Bay, Dunoon, PA23 7HP
Inverness College UHI, 1 Inverness Campus, Inverness, IV2 5NA
Lews Castle College UHI, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, HS2 0XR
Moray College UHI, Moray Street, Elgin, IV30 1JJ
Orkney College UHI, East Road, Kirkwall, KW15 1LX
Shetland College UHI, Gremista, Lerwick, ZE1 0PX
Fees and funding
In 2016/17 per module Scottish Online £520, Rest of UK and EU Online £650
Masters degree is 6 modules plus dissertation.
Scottish online £4680, Rest of UK and EU Online £5850.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- UHI information line
- 0845 272 3600