◾A relevant degree at undergraduate level or above, preference will be given to those possessing a degree at honours level, though consideration will also be given to those holding ordinary degrees. Plus ◾Higher Grade English at Grade C or above and ◾National 5 Mathematics (or equivalent) ◾Please note: There are subject specific entry guidelines for secondary teaching stipulated by GTC Scotland. These are available from the GTC Scotland website: Memorandum on Entry Requirements to Programmes of Initial Teacher Education in Scotland, 2013 ◾Relevant experience already gained and given expression in the applicant's accompanying personal statement will be taken into consideration. ◾Successful applicants will be required to complete a PVG Disclosure Check and become PVG Scheme Members in order to undertake this course
Months of entry
This course will prepare you for life as a secondary teacher, with the skills and knowledge to influence the lives of the young people you teach.
The course is offered in partnership between Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, Moray and Orkney councils, each working with the university through their local college.
The PGDE (Secondary) consists of 18 weeks study at the university plus 19 weeks in professional practice in schools.
For 2016 entry places are available in the following subjects:
- Lews Castle College: Computing, Chemistry with Science, Maths, Physics with Science and Technological Education
- Moray College: Home Economics, Physics with Science and Technological Education
- Orkney College: Physics with Science and Technological Education
Please indicate in your personal statement which subject/s you are applying for.
- Opportunity to undertake secondary education programme in Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, Moray and Orkney
- The programme is offered in conjunction with an induction year place with the local authority
- Input from experienced teachers within local authority schools throughout the programme
- The critical and enquiring professional
- Children, Young People and their curriculum
- Children, Young People and their learning
- Professional practice
- Plus professional practice in Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, Moray and Orkney
Please note: There are subject specific entry guidelines for secondary teaching stipulated by GTC Scotland. These are available from the GTC Scotland website: Memorandum on Entry Requirements to Programmes of Initial Teacher Education in Scotland, 2013
Fees and funding
There are a number of funding options available to UK and EU students to help you pay for your studies and your cost of living whilst studying. Students who are resident and studying in Scotland can apply for their fees to be paid by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). SAAS will determine eligibility.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Information line
- 0845 2723600