◾A relevant degree at undergraduate level or above, preference will be given to those possessing a degree at Honours level, though consideration will also be given to those holding ordinary degrees, plus ◾Higher Grade English at Grade C or above ◾National 5 Mathematics (or equivalent) ◾Please note: There are subject specific entry guidelines for secondary teaching stipulated by GTC Scotland. These are available from the GTC Scotland website: Memorandum on Entry Requirements to Programmes of Initial Teacher Education in Scotland, 2013 ◾Relevant experience already gained and given expression in the applicant's accompanying personal statement will be taken into consideration. ◾You must be a fluent Gaelic speaker and able to read and write in Gaelic ◾Successful applicants will be required to complete a PVG Disclosure Check and become PVG Scheme Members in order to undertake this course
Months of entry
This course will prepare you for life as a secondary teacher in Gaelic Medium Education (GME), with the skills and knowledge, to influence the lives of the young people you teach.
- Opportunity to undertake secondary teacher training in GME within the Western Isles.
- Input from experienced teachers within the Nicolson Institute throughout the programme.
- Opportunity to enhance your understanding of Gaelic culture and to develop language competence.
- The course will prepare you for life as a reflective professional, supporting high quality learning for the young people you teach.
- Taught modules: The Critical and Enquiring Professional Teacher; Children, Young People and their Curriculum; Children, Young People and their Learning.
- Professional Practice: in the Nicolson Institute, other secondary schools in the Western Isles and other Gaelic Medium Education settings.
Location: Lews Castle College UHI, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, HS2 0XR
Please note: There are subject specific entry guidelines for secondary teaching stipulated by GTC Scotland. These are available from the GTC Scotland website: Memorandum on Entry Requirements to Programmes of Initial Teacher Education in Scotland, 2013
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Information line
- 0845 2723600