2:2 honours degree in a relevant biological or marine subject. Other qualifications will be considered, along with relevant professional experience, on an individual basis. International students whose first language is not English must also meet the language competency standards are detailed on the International page of the website.
BSc (Hons) in Marine Science and BSc (Hons) in Environmental Science
Months of entry
Algal Biotechnology is a new but rapidly expanding discipline that seeks to understand and harness the resources from one of the most diverse groups of organisms on the planet.
Algae, and their natural products, have a huge range of potential applications for humans. Developing applications include pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, biofuels, ethical cosmetics, novel enzymes, green fertilisers, green insecticides, bioremediation materials, and many more.
The aim of this programme is to produce highly motivated scientists in the sphere of Algal Biotechnology with the skills, knowledge and abilities to compete effectively within the employment market of this rapidly expanding area of research and commercial application.
- You will have access to the state of the art laboratory facilities at Scottish Association for Marine Science UHI in Oban
- Teaching is delivered by active researchers in the field
- You will benefit from an excellent staff to student ratio
- The high level of practical components will allow you to gain direct hands on experience in this developing field.
- On successful completion of the PgCert you will be able to progress to the MRes
- To achieve the MRes award an extended research project and dissertation will be completed
As a fundamental part of advancing your research and employability skills, you will be given an opportunity to develop:
- Practical laboratory and analytical skills
- Project and financial management
- Research writing and presentation
- Public engagement and knowledge exchange
- To achieve the award of Masters by Research you must complete a research project and dissertation.
This course is available at Scottish Association for Marine Science UHI, Scottish Marine Institute, Oban, PA37 1QA
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- UHI Information Line
- 0845 272 3600