This new programme has been designed to help registered primary school teachers extend their knowledge, understanding and teaching skills to deliver high-quality physical education in a primary school setting.
About the programme The programme, which is delivered on a part-time, blended learning basis with sessions at Ayr Campus, aims to:
• Support you to think critically about your knowledge, understanding and teaching skills to enhance the delivery of quality physical education
• Help you support the ongoing development of physical education within your primary school, local cluster or education authority
• Enhance participants’ abilities to critically reflect in an informed way on their own practice in primary physical education
Your learning You will study three modules run over thethree trimesters within one academic year:
• Pedagogy of Primary Physical Education – gives you the opportunity to critically reflect on your current practice. It explores sport education, teaching games for understanding and current national and international trends within primary physical education.
• Developing Quality Physical Education – will develop your knowledge and understanding of developing quality physical education and enhance your teaching skills in delivering primary physical education.
• Aspects of Learning in Primary Physical Education
– this module will consider the significant aspects of learning within physical education, supporting your understanding of these and how they can be used to provide a broad range of relevant and realistic learning experiences. Upon successful completion of all three modules you will be awarded the Postgraduate Certificate.
Our Careers Adviser says Graduates will be in a position to deliver high-quality physical education in primary schools, local cluster or education authority settings. Professional recognition This programme has received GTC Scotland’s Professional Recognition award which aims to support teachers to engage in high-quality professional learning and recognises accomplished teaching practice. GTC Scotland accredits a professional learning programme after assessing that it meets the standards expected of the award of Professional Recognition.