The University requires a minimum of a Lower Second Class Honours in a qualifying Law degree or equivalent postgraduate qualification. If your first language is not English, you will need IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
Months of entry
If you want to practise as a solicitor in England and Wales you will need to complete the Legal Practice Course (LPC) - the vocational stage of training that bridges the gap between academic studies and life in a law firm.
For 2016/17, we are offering the LPC as part of a Masters' degree an LLM in Legal Practice which incorporates both Stages 1 and 2 of the LPC.
Westminster Law School has a well established reputation for the delivery of solicitors' vocational training and our LLM in Legal Practice (incorporating the LPC) equips you with the skills and knowledge needed to be a successful 21st-century lawyer. Our approach is friendly and supportive, with small, interactive group work, allowing you to benefit from individual guidance and help. Using experienced teachers, and high-quality teaching materials, sessions are set within a balanced timetable and replicate the tasks undertaken in practice.
Distinctive features of the course include:
- The broad range of Stage 2 electives offered, reflecting areas of practice from high-street to city firms.
- The opportunity to undertake real client legal work under the supervision of tutors working in the Student Law Centre. Currently students can choose to specialise in one of three streams of work: judicial review, family or property. The focus is on experiential learning through reflection, analysis and planning.
- The opportunity to be paired with a mentor currently in practice in an area of work you are interested in our mentors are predominantly ex. LPC Westminster students.
The course is taught at Westminster Law School's newly refurbished state-of-the-art premises in the heart of London's West End and within the vicinity of many law firms.
LPC Stage 1
- Core Practice Areas of Business Law and Practice, Criminal and Civil Litigation and Property Law and Practice.
- Professional Conduct and Regulation, Wills and Administration of Estates, Solicitors Accounts and Taxation.
- Skills - Practical Legal Research, Interviewing and Advising, Writing, Drafting and Advocacy.
LPC Stage 2: electives subjects
Private client electives:
- Family Law;
- International Family Law;
- Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence;
- Immigration Law;
- Housing Law;
- Employment Law;
- Clinical Elective (via the Student Law Centre).
- Commercial Litigation;
- Private Acquisitions;
- Entertainment and Media;
- Commercial Property;
- Commercial Law;
- Internet and Social Media.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)20 7911 5000
- +44 (0)20 7911 5788