Before applying candidates should possess the following:
- An Honours Degree at 2:1 or above in a relevant degree
- GCSE English Language & Maths grade C/4 or above (or an acceptable equivalent)
- Satisfactory occupational health clearance
- Satisfactory enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check
- A minimum of six months contemporary, relevant practice experience (minimum of 10 hours weekly) verified by reference
Months of entry
The MA in Social Work delivers a professional qualification combined with an academic award. Successful completion of the course means individuals are eligible to apply to join the Social Work England register which is a requirement in order to practice as a social worker in England.
This course is approved by Social Work England.
- The course dynamically integrates theory and practice embracing both learning in the classroom and in placement settings. The course provides a generic learning opportunity encompassing all service user groups and every effort is made to involve service users, carers, practitioners and managers from across the social work arena in the learning experience.
- While the course works to the UK points of reference including the QAA benchmarks and the requirements of Social Work England, the course team also embrace the International Federation of Social Work's definition: The social work profession promotes social change, problem solving in human relationships and the empowerment and liberation of people to enhance well-being. Utilising theories of human behaviour and social systems, social work intervenes at the points where people interact with their environments. Principles of human rights and social justice are fundamental to social work.
Information for international students
Candidates whose first language is not English must have a minimum standard of English at IELTS level 7, with no element below level 6.5.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Office
- 01905 855111