Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
2:1 or equivalent in a related subject. Applications from those with other qualifications may be considered on their merits. Applications are also welcomed from mature students and those returning to education.
If you wish to study modules during your mobility period that are not taught in English, you will need to demonstrate relevant language skills (level B2) in either Spanish or Italian.
If English isn't your first language you may need to provide evidence of your English language ability
Months of entry
This unique qualification, supported by the European Commission, is the first and only Erasmus Mundus ‘Masters of Excellence’ in Women’s and Gender Studies in Europe.
GEMMA is a geographically and culturally diverse consortium of seven different institutions from six different European countries, bringing together distinguished feminist scholars from a range of disciplines in the arts, humanities and social sciences.
The programme will provide you with an extensive and highly-varied learning experience where you will enjoy a breadth of module choice. Its comprehensive design is ideal for students working, or intending to work in areas related to Women's Studies, Gender Studies and Equal Opportunities across the world.
Through interdisciplinary internationally-focused teaching, you’ll develop the critical academic understanding and range of practical competencies required of effective active citizens contributing to gender equality.
You'll start at any one of the European consortium universities - this will be your home institution. In the second year you’ll spend up to a full year at one of the partner universities. Your choice of specialisation and elective modules will guide your decision in selecting a partner university. The institution's current fields of expertise are:
- University of Bologna (Italy): literature
- University of Granada (Spain): social sciences and literature
- University of Oviedo (Spain): cultural and literary studies post-colonial studies
- University of Łódź (Poland): political and social sciences, media studies
- Central European University: social and political sciences
- University of Utrecht (The Netherlands): literary visual and cultural studies, historical and philosophical research
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Centre Administrator