Applicants are normally expected to hold (or expected to gain) the equivalent of a 2.1 honours degree or above from a university recognised by the University of York. This degree should be either in music technology, or technology, mathematics, science, engineering or computing, where candidates can demonstrate music performance or music production skills. Please check with the department. If you are a non-native English speaking applicant you must provide evidence of your English language ability. You need to show enough fluency in all aspects of English (reading, writing, speaking and listening) to the required level of the course you're applying to.
Months of entry
The MSc is designed for Graduates of programmes: in Music Technology or Tonmeister; in technology, mathematics, science, engineering or computing who can demonstrate music performance or music production skills; of a related subject who can demonstrate an understanding of music theory/digital audio, skills in music production or performance and technical experience or an aptitude for the technical aspects of audio.
There is a particular emphasis on practical application of theoretical aspects of audio signal processing and acoustic analysis and the programme also helps students to develop other skills such as critical analysis and evaluation, synthesis of theory and practice, creative problem-solving, design and implementation and oral and written communication skills.
The programme aims to:
- provide students with a thorough grounding in scientific theory and engineering techniques as applied to digital audio technology;
- develop an understanding of audio processing and acoustic analysis as it relates to speech, singing, music and room/environmental acoustics;
- provide practical experience of audio software programming in a variety of coding languages and a creative approach to audio analysis and synthesis;
- develop communication skills for academic and public engagement purposes, in a variety of writing styles, or for oral presentations.
Information for international students
York is a research-intensive university and a proud member of the elite Russell Group of universities, please see our website.
Fees and funding
Department and University scholarships may be available, please check our website for details: Postgraduate fees and funding.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Administrator
- +44 (0) 1904 324485