You should normally hold or expect to receive at least a 2:1 or equivalent in your first degree. If you are a non-native English speaking applicant you must provide evidence of your English language ability. You need to show enough fluency in all aspects of English (reading, writing, speaking and listening) to the required level of the course you're applying to.
Months of entry
The MSc has been designed in conjunction with one of the world's leading forensic speech laboratories, JP French Associates. The director of the laboratory, Professor Peter French, will deliver some of the taught components and will supervise some research projects. Students are given the opportunity to go on site visits that will allow them to observe the working practices of the laboratory, as well as those of cognate institutions such as courts.
Areas of the MSc overlap with those central to speech technology (especially speaker recognition), as well as communications and recording technology (including the development of recording systems for emergency calls, police messaging and covert operations).
The MSc in Forensic Speech Science provides a comprehensive foundation in the aims, practices, and principles of speech analysis for forensic purposes.
The course will:
- Provide a thorough grounding in the theoretical underpinnings of forensic speech analysis, especially in phonetics, acoustics, and sociolinguistics/language variation;
- Introduce students to the practical techniques used in forensic speech and audio analysis;
- Provide students with an appreciation of theoretical and methodological problems in performing forensic speech and audio analysis;
- Enable students to apply their skills and knowledge to recorded materials from real criminal cases;
- Enable students to perform original research in speaker comparison and speech content analysis;
- Impart understanding of the role and responsibilities of the forensic speech scientist as expert witness.
Information for international students
York is a research-intensive university and a proud member of the elite Russell Group of universities. Information about international fees can be found on our website.
Fees and funding
Department and University scholarships may be available, please check our website for details: Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Administrator
- +44 (0) 1904 322652