Students should normally hold or expect to receive at least a 2:1 or equivalent in your first degree. If you are a non-native English speaking applicant you must provide evidence of your English language ability. You need to show enough fluency in all aspects of English (reading, writing, speaking and listening) to the required level of the course you're applying to.
Months of entry
*** Please note - This programme is currently under review and may not recruit for 2016/17 academic year. Please contact the Department of Language and Linguistics (+44 1904 32 2650) for further advice before submitting an application.***
The MA in Phonological Development will provide the opportunity to gain practical experience in linguistic methods of analysis of child data, from English and other languages.
The MA in Phonological Development will:
- Introduce you to research questions and theoretical approaches in phonological development;
- Introduce you to linguistic methods of analysis in phonological development;
- Introduce you to current psychological research on development and on learning mechanisms in adults and children;
- Provide hands-on experience with data collection and analysis;
- Enable you to develop your own areas of interest and expertise in phonological development;
- Enable you to carry out original research in phonological development.
The first term comprises three core modules, Directed Readings in Phonological Development, The Emergence of Structure from Use, and Research Methods, along with one open option. The second term comprises Topics in Phonological Development and Learning Mechanisms. The programme is completed with a research dissertation.
Information for international students
York is a research-intensive university and a proud member of the elite Russell Group of universities. Information about international fees can be found on our website.
Fees and funding
Department and University scholarships may be available, please check our website for details: Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Administrator
- +44 (0) 1904 322652