People from diverse academic backgrounds, and from human rights organisations and other, related fields, are encouraged to apply. Applicants will normally be expected to have a good first degree (2:1 or its equivalent). Applications are also welcomed from candidates with a good 2:2 degree (or equivalent) and at least three years relevant work experience. If you are a non-native English speaking applicant you must provide evidence of your English language ability. You need to show enough fluency in all aspects of English (reading, writing, speaking and listening) to the required level of the course you're applying to.
Months of entry
The MA focuses on the use of rights discourse and tools within the human rights mainstream and in a range of related fields (development, humanitarianism, conflict transformation, the environment, public health etc.). As such, it is designed for practitioners and would-be practitioners across this spectrum who wish to engage with applied human rights.
The course covers:
- exploring how human rights can advance social justice in law, policy and social activism;
- it is interdisciplinary and holistic (integrating knowledge of human rights, development, conflict, and more);
- students will acquire relevant knowledge but also skills that are vital for a career in human rights e.g. project management skills;
- the lecturers are both academics and experienced practitioners, and the international human rights defenders hosted by the Centre will attend and lead classes;
- an international field trip to South Africa takes place in the first term, enabling students to work alongside local NGOs and human rights defenders on concrete projects.
Information for international students
York is a research-intensive university and a proud member of the elite Russell Group of universities, please see our website for further information.
Fees and funding
Department and University scholarships may be available, please check our website for details: Postgraduate fees and funding.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Administrator
- +44 (0) 1904 323561