A good second class (undergraduate) degree or equivalent qualification. Applicants without undergraduate experience may also be considered if they have sufficient professional background. Experience is required in the public service field. This includes roles in government at national and local level, non-governmental and inter-governmental organisations, the voluntary and charitable sector, and private sector roles which support or deliver public services. If you are a non-native English speaking applicant you must provide evidence of your English language ability. You need to show enough fluency in all aspects of English (reading, writing, speaking and listening) to the required level of the course you're applying to.
Months of entry
The course has been designed to support managers or potential managers of public organisations in developing countries; the course considers the environmental factors (political, cultural, economic) that impact on the work of public managers and the ways in which those factors shape the character of governance and the management and delivery of public policy in these different state forms.
The programme addresses four broad themes:
- The delivery, management and improvement of public services in the context of international development.
- The social and political issues influencing the path of development.
- Strategic capability, including strategic planning, the management of public finances, leadership and organisational learning.
- The wider context of public service delivery: the implications of global governance and of governance in developing states.
Information for international students
York is a research-intensive university and a proud member of the elite Russell Group of universities. Information about international fees can be found on our website.
Fees and funding
Department and University scholarships may be available, please check our website for details: Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Administrator
- +44 (0) 1904 323561