The following qualifications will be considered for entry on to the MA in Visual Arts programme:
- A good Honours Degree or equivalent qualification in Visual Arts or a related discipline.
- Relevant work experience in an arts-related field which demonstrates the ability to study at postgraduate level.
- Portfolio: including evidence of current practical work, sketchbooks and evidence of critical writing. An appropriate level of engagement with current debates in contemporary arts and making is required.
Months of entry
The MA Visual Arts combines advanced studio-based work, contextual studies and critically reflective research, allowing students to increase the sophistication of their work in preparation for the transition to professional practice. The MA is an intensive programme of study that includes taught units and an independent project comprising practical and theoretical work.
MA students can expect:
- Support in further consolidating studio practice to a level appropriate for accomplished practitioners.
- Access to facilities, workshops and expertise for the fabrication of artworks relating to the individual student's ambitions.
- Opportunities to employ innovative approaches to practical making through which conceptual ideas are tested and informed by use of selected media.
- To gain a comprehensive understanding of techniques applicable to their own research and scholarship.
- Develop originality in the application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how established techniques of research and enquiry are used to create and interpret knowledge in the Visual Arts.
- To consolidate a systematic understanding and critical awareness of current debates in contemporary art practice.
- To further develop aptitude for professional practice, independent research or employment, including opportunities for public exhibition.
- To possess independence, self-reliance, as well as promotional enterprise skills, motivated toward professional practice or employment.
Fees and funding
Currently a third of all tuition fees are met through bursary or scholarship funding.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Registry Office
- +44 (0)1243 818 291