The standard entry requirement for this programme is an honours degree of at least 2:2 classification in a Computer Science related subject area, or equivalent in any science-based degree with a strong computing element.
Applicants with substantial commercial or industrial experience, or graduates coming from non-Computing backgrounds can be accepted, subject to interview and references.
Months of entry
Computer game development remains one of the fastest growing industries in the digital technology sector, and as such there is an increasing demand for technical specialists, managers and consultants.
The course is designed to take technical development, management and entrepreneurial skills to a level required to access higher technical and managerial positions within studios, along with the necessary skills to create and maintain viable games/media businesses.
Building on the strong foundation of our successful Game Development programme, this course enjoys the benefits of close industry links with regular visits and guest speakers as part of an integrated programme of presentations, discussion groups and social events.
We have an excellent track record for graduate employment with many of our students going on to work at some of the UKs most recognisable game studios.
A key element of the course is its emphasis on blending advanced technical development with strong management and sustainable business skills. Through our unique Business Accelerator initiative, we deliver industry standard theory and practice allowing students to gain valuable experience of the business planning and finance along with the management of a game studio.
Key course features
- Regular contact with games and media industry representatives through guest lectures, seminars and local & national events
- Learn how to develop a strong games/media business plan along with leadership and management skills
- Access to our in-house business incubation centre (The Enterprise Lounge)
- You will be taught by a dedicated teaching team with professional industry backgrounds and experience
- Work with the latest tools and technology in a specialist game development studio dedicated to design and production
- Further develop your skills within our Centre for the Creative Industries and its fully integrated media suite, television production studio and Apple accredited facilities
What you will study
The programme has a strong technical focus with emphasis on professional quality throughout.
Areas covered include professional 3D modelling & sculpting skills with respect to 3D topology and optimisation of assets to ensure fitness for purpose. The design and development of game applications along with an understanding of modern publication and distribution processes.
Students will learn to analyse and optimise game applications with respect to technical performance and user experience. In addition, modern development and problem solving strategies for artificial intelligence within games will play an important role.
The Games Business & Enterprise module will develop business planning, leadership and strategic skills whilst encouraging and supporting entrepreneurial activity.
Through our Business Accelerator programme, students will have the opportunity to work closely with Business postgraduate students and access our business incubation centre with a view to starting and managing a game development studio.
Finally, the 60 credit dissertation will provide students with the platform to engage and explore a specialist area within the games and creative field whilst being supported by enthusiastic and experienced staff.
- Media Development & Distribution
- Game Analysis & Optimisation
- Games Business & Enterprise
- 3D Design & Optimisation
- Advanced Artificial Intelligence
- Post Graduate Study & Research Methods
- Dissertation (60 credits)
The information listed in this section is an overview of the academic content of the programme that will take the form of either core or option modules. Modules are designated as core or option in accordance with professional body requirements and internal academic framework review, so may be subject to change.
Fees and funding
Learn more at the fees and funding page.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- 01978 293439