A graduate cover letter gives you the chance to explain how your Masters degree is relevant to the job you're applying for and to showcase the skills and experience you gained during your course
Employers don't always distinguish between a Masters and Bachelors degree when recruiting. They may value the additional maturity, but it's up to you to explain in your cover letter what skills and knowledge you have gained through this higher qualification.
Present yourself in terms of the extra abilities you have and how this relates to your career goals. A Masters also needs to be complemented by relevant work experience, so make sure you mention any details of this.
Misha Kuna 64 Main Street Yourtown YT19 1XP firstname.lastname@example.org 07799123123
Jerry Kunzwa Head of HR Consulting plc 5th Floor, The Tower City Street Citytown CT45 8QX
15th April 2019
Dear Mr Kunzwa
Re: Trainee management consultant post
I am writing to apply for the post advertised on the Prospects.ac.uk website. I am enclosing my CV.
While organising events during my undergraduate history degree, I became fascinated by the business side and quickly became aware of the factors which make an event successful, profitable and sustainable. I decided to develop my growing commercial awareness by studying for a Masters in Business Information and Systems. Alongside my studies, I continue to be involved in the business world as a shift leader in the hospitality sector.
I would now like to bring my humanities and business training to your management consultancy. I have experience of:
- Organising popular events which attracted record attendances and were rated in the university's top ten events for 2017-2018.
- Managing a budget and creating a profit.
- Time management from combining study, employment and event management to achieve a First for my degree.
- Working in a team on clearly defined, time-limited projects.
- Customer awareness as a bar assistant.
- Team leadership as a bar shift leader.
- Analysing data from a range of sources.
- Writing reports and presenting to an audience.
I am particularly interested in the projects which Consulting plc has undertaken in the charity, arts and entertainment sectors.
I look forward to hearing from you.
(Sign your name here)
Find out more
- Get more information on cover letters.
- Discover what your options are after graduation in your Masters, what next?