To make sure that your cover letter successfully entices employers to read your CV take a look at our cover letter template
A cover letter demonstrates to recruiters how well you express yourself so you need to make sure that you don't just repeat your CV or give rambling explanations. Instead use this opportunity to focus on your skills and experience, saving your qualifications for your CV.
You should double check what you've written as spelling mistakes or lack of attention to detail will put your cover letter straight on the no pile.
Avril Lee 115 My Street Mytown WX55 1CQ email@example.com 07777999888
Harry Smith Graduate HR director Big Company Ltd Woodcotes Business Park The Midlands MX9 6PQ
15th April 2019
Dear Mr Smith
Re: Logistics graduate scheme
I would like to apply for the logistics track of your graduate training scheme, advertised on the Prospects.ac.uk website. As requested, I am enclosing my CV.
I am in the final year of my geography degree, expecting a 2:1. Always intending to have a career in business, I have taken modules on the geography of business and GIS modelling. My final-year dissertation is on changing patterns in retail. During my degree, I have developed my analytical skills and ability to read, manage and present data. I have also become familiar with a range of business intelligence sources.
As you can see from my CV I have experience in:
- Retail - moving from shelf stacker to checkout operator to team leader in my two years with Fresh Foods. I contributed to the store consistently being in the top five for the region by providing excellent customer service.
- Warehouse operations - picking and packing to meet targets over the busy Christmas period.
I have also:
- Worked in and led teams at Fresh Foods, on course projects and in sports.
- Communicated with colleagues at all levels in retail and warehousing.
- Solved problems as a team leader, ensuring staff cover and dealing with customer complaints.
- Worked flexibly doing both early and late shifts and covering for absence, sometimes at short notice.
- Managed my time when combining study with work and sport.
My semester in Germany exposed me to a different culture and improved my language skills. In addition, my voluntary work with young people has increased my resilience and ability to mix with people from all walks of life.
I look forward to hearing from you.
(Sign your name here)