About Department for Transport
The Department for Transport is at the heart of the development of transport policy. It sets the direction for the future of infrastructure in the UK, which is vital for economic growth and prosperity.
Transport keeps Britain on the move, whether that be the daily commute to work or supplying businesses up and down the country, without it, business sectors cannot function efficiently and effectively.
The Department for Transport has been recognised as a Disability Confident Employer and one of The Times’ Top 50 Employers for Women. We promote a diverse and inclusive environment.
We are excited to present to you with this opportunity to start a challenging and rewarding career with us.
Be a commercial leader, turning policy into real life. Be in demand. Kick start your career with the Department for Transport’s Commercial Development Programme.
This is a three year programme offered to talented individuals, which aims to develop commercial capability and transport leaders of the future. The programme is divided into three one year placements where you will continually be exposed to rapidly growing areas of the business. You will have full support throughout to enable you to drive your career forward to reach your goals and full potential. As part of the programme, you will study towards a professional qualification to further develop your commercial skills and experience.
A career in Commercial at the Department for Transport will see you creating and managing many varied and complex commercial relationships in the public and private sector as well as creating an environment in which private sector transport can flourish.
As a Commercial Development Programme associate, your role will be diverse and will provide you with the opportunity to:
- Gain an understanding of how the public sector buys goods and services and to ensure their effective delivery
- Learn from industry experts and experience first-hand complex negotiations
- Learn how major infrastructure projects are designed, financed and managed
- Take responsibility and accountability on major infrastructure projects and the way they are designed, financed and managedBuild contract management skills and play a part in ensuring key services are delivered to the public
- Learn about the financial market and how it can support or impact on front line deliveryDevelop an understanding of how major commercial transactions are treated in accounting terms.
We need people who demonstrate the skills and behaviours that help us deliver the Department’s strategy and vision.
In order to join the programme you will need to be:
- A self-driven, highly motivated, committed and passionate person
- Flexible to change
- Able to communicate and influence internal and external stakeholders effectively
- A person with the potential and desire to lead
- Highly numerate
Qualifications and experience requirements:
You will need one of the following:
- To have or be predicted a 2:1 degree in any subject
- or A Masters degree in any subject,
- or be qualified/part qualified from either a recognised accountancy body, procurement qualification or project management qualification.
transport and logistics, public sector
City of Westminster
- Great Minster House
- 33 Horseferry Road
- SW1P 4DR