About National Audit Office
Change your world
Chartered Accountancy – graduate professional training scheme
What is the NAO graduate scheme?
Our very successful ACA professional training scheme is now live. We will equip you with the chartered accountancy qualification and membership of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).
Our scheme will give you the opportunity to make a real difference to our huge range of clients but also to the nation. The scope of our work and influence is vast – supporting Parliament to hold government to account and improve the full spectrum of public services. In a nutshell, we enable and support crucial economic and social changes needed to improve financial management and the way vital public services are delivered to millions of people every day.
What will I do?
By joining us and achieving a prestigious qualification as a chartered accountant, you’ll build a rewarding and fascinating career. You’ll make an impact that you and the nation will benefit from. You will develop your skills as a professional, a manager and a leader. You will be equipped for a fantastic career.
So come, join us and be part of the bigger picture at the National Audit Office (NAO).
Alongside working towards your Chartered Accountancy qualification, you’ll work with a wide range of clients, including central and local government. You’ll start out as a team member supporting our core financial audits, and will gradually get to work on bigger audits and more complex projects, taking the lead as you develop your skills and confidence. Whilst working mainly on financial audits you’ll also have the opportunity to be involved in a range of our other work – including support for Parliament, investigations, and our larger value for money studies and programmes which result in high-profile reports to Parliament that often make the headlines.
You can find out a lot more about us and our work from our website.
Where will I go?
Don’t expect to spend a lot of your time at your desk. Our trainees get involved in all kinds of projects that get them out in the field to all kinds of places across the UK, and sometimes even further afield. You’ll get to work out on clients’ premises where you can see how their businesses really work and how they can improve.
Who will I work with?
In our open, inclusive and modern working environment - which places a huge emphasis on team working, collaboration and knowledge-sharing you’ll work with, learn from, and coach all kinds of people.
We are diverse and inclusive and you’ll find we are ambitious and committed to deliver high quality work- click here to hear more from one of our existing school leaver trainees. You’ll find plenty more on our trainee site: naoaccountancyscheme.co.uk
What benefits do you offer?
Alongside doing varied work with an unrivalled network of high profile clients you’ll have access to a supportive and sociable peer group to help you gain career success. We also offer an extremely attractive pay and benefits package:
- £29,000 p.a. plus starting salary in London
- £23,000 p.a. plus starting salary in Newcastle
- Annual pay increases and increases when you pass each stage of your professional exams
- Fully funded ACA qualification and ICAEW membership subscriptions
- 30 days’ holiday (including public holidays)
- Fully paid 25 weeks study leave in block release
- Civil service pension scheme
- Excellent on-site gym in London and subsidised gym membership in Newcastle
- Interest free travel season ticket loan
- Staff discounts
- Social events – including annual pop quiz, film quiz and Christmas party…..
- Opportunities to take responsibility early in your career
- An excellent system of support from NAO colleagues, including a ‘buddy’ from our more experienced trainees
Who are we looking for?
There is no such thing as a typical NAO Graduate Trainee. Successful candidates come from a diverse range of backgrounds and degree subjects. We do, however, have some minimum criteria you will need to meet:
- 300 UCAS points or equivalent from your top three A-level grades (or equivalent). General studies does not count. If you have 280 UCAS points (or equivalent) you may be eligible to apply so please email for further details.
- Please note from 2017 onwards the UCAS Tariff points are changing, you will require a minimum of 120 UCAS points or equivalent from your top three A-level grades (or equivalent).
- You must be a UK, Commonwealth, EEA or Swiss national to comply with Civil Service nationality rules and must hold a valid work permit. We are not able to sponsor work visas.
Of course, this is just a quick look at life as a school leaver trainee with us. See the full story, and details of how to apply.
How do I get further information?
accountancy, banking and finance
London, Newcastle upon Tyne