About the RISE scheme
Have you studied in the Sheffield City Region and want to stay? Grown up here and want to come back? Or just fancy living in a place that gives you the best of city living on the doorstep of the glorious Peak District? If so, RISE is for you.
RISE is an innovative and unique project that connects talented, hard-working graduates with small and medium sized enterprises (commonly referred to as SMEs, which means they employ less than 250 people) across the Sheffield City Region. We want to provide graduates with fantastic opportunities, great career progression and the chance to make an impact, whilst giving our thriving small business sector access to amazing graduate talent, skills and innovation.
Would I enjoy working for an SME
A job at an SME is very different to larger, more corporate organisations. In a smaller setting you will be a key player; you’ll have the opportunity to learn a lot in a fast-paced environment. If you’re the type of person who wants to:
- Shape their own career and professional development
- Make a real impact
- Have high levels of visibility and responsibility early on
- Work with colleagues and clients at all levels
- Work in a small/close team towards a shared goal
Then you will find working for an SME exciting, challenging and rewarding, and we would encourage you to apply.
What type of employers and jobs are available through RISE
RISE has existed for over six years and in that time has appointed more than 455 graduates in 379 SMEs into a huge variety of roles and sectors from marketing and computer science to design, engineering and project management. Here are just some examples:
- Doc Fest – Junior Accountant
- Marjolo – Graduate Consultant
- Totally Runable – Sports Coordinator
- And Other Stories – Publishing Traineeship
- Jenx – Projects Engineer
- Dawson Radford Solicitors – Paralegal
- Engineering CFD – Fluid Mechanics Projects Engineer
- Exawatt – Analyst (Electric Vehicles and PV)
- Yoko:10 – Graduate Microsoft Consultant
Why should I work in the Sheffield City Region
- The amazing music scene, art, food, cafes, pubs and festivals such as Tramlines, Doc Fest, Off the Shelf, Thornbridge Peakender, Sheffield Pride, Under the Stars, Food Festivals, Festival of the Outdoors and many more…
- Sean Bean… Game of Thrones fans anyone?
- Value for money: when you look at the cost of living versus graduate starting salaries, Sheffield comes out second (after Derby).
- England’s first national park and Europe’s busiest: The Peak District.
- Sheffield was named as one of the ‘happiest cities to work in’.
We know that when you ask people where graduates want to work, they say: ‘all graduates go to London’. However, this isn’t the case. Did you know that: 58% of graduates went on to work in the region they studied in, and 69% went on to work in the region they grew up in. We therefore know that a large proportion of the graduates from the numerous universities in the Sheffield City Region really want to work here.
How do I apply and what's the recruitment process
The next round of RISE vacancies are expected to open this Summer – more details to follow soon. If you would like to register your interest in RISE and working in the Sheffield City Region, please complete this short form. We will be in touch to let you know when applications open
All candidates will register online and upload their CV on our portal. The RISE team then screens and shortlists the candidates. If successful you will be invited for a final interview with the SME.
The shortlisting and screening process differs according to the role you apply for. For most roles you can expect to do a short video interview followed by an assessment centre and final interview. However, if you’ve applied for a more technical role you may simply be asked to complete a technical test before going to meet the employer.
Throughout the RISE recruitment process, we are assessing candidates against the four competencies: business-focus, drive, teamwork and professionalism. You can read our competency framework
Please note: you can only apply for a maximum of three RISE roles.
RISE is a unique business support initiative delivered in partnership by Sheffield City Council, Sheffield Hallam University and the University of Sheffield, and is part-funded by the England European Regional Development Fund as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020.
IT and information services, marketing, advertising and PR, business, consulting and management, accountancy, banking and finance, creative arts and culture, law, engineering and manufacturing
Derbyshire, Yorkshire and the Humber
Barnsley, Bassetlaw, Bolsover, Chesterfield, Derbyshire Dales, Doncaster, North East Derbyshire, Rotherham, Sheffield