If Spain isn't on your list of study destinations you should think again. With its well respected institutions, low tuition fees and Mediterranean climate it's the perfect place to broaden your horizons

Thousands of foreign students study in Spain every year and with a little research you could join them.

The country has a variety of universities in a range of locations and tuition fees are among the lowest in Europe. Popular student cities include Barcelona, Granada, Madrid, Seville and Valencia. While Spain has a rich history and culture of its own for you to explore, you'll also be well connected to other favoured destinations such as London and Paris.

While studying in Spain, you'll be able to brush up on the world's second most spoken language, as well as make lots of international connections.

In your study-free hours you'll be able to enjoy siestas and tapas, sightsee in metropolitan cities such as Madrid and Barcelona, and plan getaways to wonderful mountain ranges, beaches and quaint villages that really epitomise old Spain. You'll also get to experience the delights of Spain's many museums, clubs, theatres, festivals and street fairs.

Spanish universities

In 2007 Spain overhauled its higher education system to comply with the Bologna Process, ensuring its qualifications are directly comparable with those gained in other European Higher Education Area (EHEA) countries.

There are two types of higher education institution (or universidades) in Spain: public and private.

Of the 78 Spanish universities, 51 are state-funded, with 27 privately owned or run by the Catholic Church. The country has a long history of higher education - its oldest university, Universidad de Salamanca, was founded in 1218.

11 Spanish universities rank within the global top 500 according to QS World University Rankings 2018. These include:

  • Universitat de Barcelona (156)
  • Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (187)
  • Universitat Autónona de Barcelona (195)
  • Complutense University of Madrid (233)
  • University of Navarra (270)
  • Uiversitat Politècnica de Catalunya (275)
  • Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (281)
  • Universitat Pompeu Fabra (296)
  • Uiversitat Politècnica de Valencia (373)
  • Uinversidad de Zaragoza (461-470)
  • Uiversitat Politècnica de Madrid (491-500).

The largest proportion of leading Spanish institutions can be found in the capital city Madrid, followed by popular tourist spot Barcelona.


Barcelona Technology School

Barcelona Technology School's Masters in Digital Solutions Development is ideal for those who want to enter the digital industry with a solid base on which to start a new career in IT.


EU Business School

EU - a triple-accredited, multicampus, international business school offers innovative Bachelor, Master and Doctorate of Business Administration programmes.


IE Business School

Situated in Spain's capital city Madrid, IE is one the best business schools in Europe. We shape leaders who drive innovation and change in organisations. Be a part of it.

Degree courses in Spain

Undergraduate courses, otherwise known as Bachelors degrees or 'grado' in Spanish, are available in a range of subjects and are provided by most institutions.

Popular courses in Spain include:

  • arts and humanities subjects
  • finance
  • hospitality management
  • law
  • marketing
  • science.

For entry onto a course you'll usually need a secondary education leaving certificate. Some universities may also require you to sit and pass an entrance exam. The majority of courses are taught in Spanish so you'll need to prove your proficiency. Basic English proficiency is also required by the majority of institutions, so if English is not your first language you may need to prove your ability.

To successfully complete a Bachelors degree, students must earn a total of 240 ECTS credits over four years of study. This consists of basic training, obligatory and optional subjects, external and cultural placements and activities, and a final course dissertation.

Competition for undergraduate places is high, as more students wish to study in Spain than there are places available. European Union (EU) nationals are entitled to compete for places at Spanish universities on equal terms.

Search Bachelors courses in Spain at Study.EU.

Masters degrees

A Masters prepares students for academic, research or professional work. These qualifications are usually spread across one or two years. Postgraduate courses are available in a range of subjects and you must hold a Bachelors degree or equivalent for entry.

An increasing number of postgraduate programmes are taught in English. If English isn't your first language, but you'd like to study one of these courses, you'll need to prove your ability.

Academic years are split into two semesters. Lectures for Masters courses usually begin in early October, with classes often continuing during the undergraduate exam period in January. The second semester typically starts in early February and concludes in June.

Search Masters courses in Spain at Study.EU.


The duration of a full-time Spanish Doctoral degree is three years (maximum), with part-time study taking five years. Most PhDs are split into two stages: advanced research training and a thesis.

As with Doctoral degrees in other European countries, your research will be supervised by at least one tutor who will provide mentoring and support.

For admission onto PhD courses you'll need to hold both a Bachelors and Masters degree in a relevant subject.

Search for PhD courses in Spain at PhDStudies.com - Spain.

Student exchanges

Students attending UK universities can take part in the European Union's (EU) study, work, volunteer, train and teach abroad programme Erasmus+. The scheme provides students with opportunities to study in Spain for between three months and one academic year, as part of their degree - although this will depend on your university having formal arrangements with a Spanish counterpart.

Financial support is available through Erasmus+ grants, which are provided by the European Commission (EC). These are designed to cover the additional costs that you may incur from studying abroad. Tuition fee contributions are also available to students studying abroad for a full academic year.

Course fees

Spanish course fees are among the lowest in Europe, with costs the same for EU students as they are for Spanish students. If you come from a non-EU country, your course fees will likely be marginally higher.

Fees are charged per credit, rather than per semester or academic year. The amount that you pay depends on where and what you study.

At public universities, fees for a Bachelors course are set by the government and can vary from €750 to €2,100 per academic year. Annual course costs at private universities are typically more expensive.

Similarly, fees for postgraduate degrees at both public and private universities are regulated by the government. The amount of credits you undertake is based on what course you study and which university you attend. For example, a Masters course will be worth 60 to 120 credits per year, with each credit costing between €22 and €36 each, meaning that the cost of a Spanish Masters averages between €1,320 and €4,320.

Students should expect to pay between €900 and €1,100 a month for living expenses, depending on location and accommodation type. Madrid and Barcelona are the most expensive cities.

Funding to study in Spain

Student loans are not available to international students in Spain but grants and scholarships are awarded by the government, charitable organisations and individual institutions.

The amount of financial assistance you’re entitled to will depend on your circumstances, but bear in mind that competition for funding is intense.

Student visas

If you're an EU or Swiss student you do not need a visa to study in Spain. However, you will need to register with local Spanish authorities and obtain a residence certificate.

Those students coming to study in Spain from outside the EU must obtain a visa if they wish to stay longer than three months. You can apply for a visa at the Spanish Consulate in your country of origin.

This visa information is still valid following the UK's decision to leave the EU and will be updated if changes happen.

How to apply

If you're an EU student looking to study a Bachelors degree, you'll need to apply for the 'Credencial de Acceso', which is issued by Spain's official body Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia (UNED). Non-EU students without a European Baccalaureate (EB) or International Baccalaureate (IB) will need to register with UNED to take the entrance exam ('Prueba de Acceso a la Universidad' or PAU).

Students wanting to study for a postgraduate degree in Spain should apply directly to the institution they wish to attend. Applications are typically made online and you will need:

  • a copy of your passport or ID
  • passport-sized photographs
  • a Statement of Purpose (roughly 500 words on why you want to study at a particular university)
  • Bachelors certificate
  • Bachelors transcripts
  • proof of English proficiency.

Your application documents may need to be submitted in Spanish, check with your chosen university if you're unsure.

Language requirements

The country's main language, Spanish, is the second most common language in the world. While some Bachelors and Masters courses are taught in English, the majority of study programmes are taught in Spanish.

Even if you get onto an English taught course it'll still be incredibly useful to be able to read, write and speak the country's language.

You can either learn before you go or take lessons on arrival. Most universities provide language tuition, either through short courses or year-long programmes.

Comparison to UK qualifications

Thanks to Spain being part of the Bologna Process university qualifications gained in other European countries will usually be recognised and accepted by Spanish universities.

Your Spanish Masters degree will also be internationally recognised. However, it's always best to check with employers before applying.

Find out more

How would you rate this page?

On a scale where 1 is dislike and 5 is like

success feedback

Thank you for rating the page