Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- At least a 2:2 honours degree or equivalent in an area related to subject of study.
- Grade B/Grade 5 in the GCSE examination in any of the following: English Language, English Literature, Welsh Language (First Language), Welsh Literature. Where an equivalent to a grade B in either English Literature or Welsh Literature is achieved, a minimum of a grade C/grade 4 must be achieved in the corresponding GCSE examination in English or Welsh (First) Language.
- Grade B/Grade 5 in the GCSE Examination in Mathematics or Mathematics-Numeracy must also be achieved.
- GCSE Grade C/Grade 4 in Science.
- GCSE grade B equivalency tests in English and mathematics are available to applicants for admission to the teacher education courses for the next academic session at Bangor University. Applicants wishing to undertake the equivalency test must already have a grade C in GCSE standard.
- A willingness and positive attitude towards seeking to improve their personal use of the Welsh Language.
Months of entry
The Primary PGCE programme is designed to provide you with a deep understanding of how children learn, and equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to develop as a creative and innovative teacher. You will learn about children’s development through the Foundation Phase and Key Stage 2 and be supported to become an excellent teacher. This PGCE with QTS* is recognised across Wales and England and is often transferable* further afield for entry into the teaching profession.
*Those seeking to teach outside Wales and England should check recognition and transferability of Qualified Teacher Status with the respective country’s Teachers’ Professional Body.
Committed schools with well-trained mentors will support Associate Teachers’ progress towards Qualified Teacher Status in accordance with Professional Standards for Teaching and Leadership in Wales.
Experienced tutors and researchers in university and school based staff will provide excellent support and stimulating sessions, and the qualification gained will equip students to teach within and beyond Wales.
You do not need to live in Wales or speak Welsh to apply for the course. We will support you in your understanding of Welsh culture and your Welsh language learning whether you are a complete beginner or a fluent user of the language.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)1248 383083