- At least a 2:2 honours degree or equivalent in an area related to subject of study.
- Grade C/Grade 4 in the GCSE examination in any of the following: English Language, English Literature, Welsh First Language, Welsh Literature.
- Grade C/Grade 4 in the GCSE Examination in Mathematics or Mathematics-Numeracy must also be achieved.
- GCSE Grade C/Grade 4 in Science.
- A willingness and positive attitude towards seeking to improve their personal use of the Welsh Language.
- Applicants are required to undergo an enhanced DBS check for the child workforce including a check of the children’s barred lists. Applicants who have lived outside the UK are also required to undertake a criminal records check in their countries of residence.
- Applicants should reflect carefully on their ability to meet the rigours and demands of the profession. Refer to the Considerations for Applicants to Initial Teacher Education Programmes.
- We also welcome applications from mature applicants, individuals with European qualifications and international applicants (subject to minimum English language requirements - IELTS Level 7 overall (with no element below 6.5).
Months of entry
The Primary PGCE programme is designed to provide you with a deep understanding of how children learn, and equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to develop as a creative and innovative teacher. You will learn about children’s development through the Foundation Phase and Key Stage 2 and be supported to become an excellent teacher. This PGCE with QTS* is recognised across Wales and England and is often transferable* further afield for entry into the teaching profession.
*Those seeking to teach outside Wales and England should check recognition and transferability of Qualified Teacher Status with the respective country’s Teachers’ Professional Body.
Committed schools with well-trained mentors will support Associate Teachers’ progress towards Qualified Teacher Status in accordance with Professional Standards for Teaching and Leadership in Wales.
Experienced tutors and researchers in university and school based staff will provide excellent support and stimulating sessions, and the qualification gained will equip students to teach within and beyond Wales.
You do not need to live in Wales or speak Welsh to apply for the course. We will support you in your understanding of Welsh culture and your Welsh language learning whether you are a complete beginner or a fluent user of the language.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Bangor University