Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- At least a 2:2 honours degree or equivalent in an area related to subject of study.
- Grade B/Grade 5 in the GCSE examination in any of the following: English Language, English Literature, Welsh Language (First Language), Welsh Literature. Where an equivalent to a grade B in either English Literature or Welsh Literature is achieved, a minimum of a grade C/grade 4 must be achieved in the corresponding GCSE examination in English or Welsh (First) Language.
- Grade B/Grade 5 in the GCSE Examination in Mathematics or Mathematics-Numeracy must also be achieved.
- GCSE grade B equivalency tests in English and mathematics are available to applicants for admission to the teacher education courses for the next academic session at Bangor University. Applicants wishing to undertake the equivalency test must already have a grade C at GCSE standard.
- A willingness and positive attitude towards seeking to improve personal use of the Welsh Language.
Months of entry
Associate Teachers (ATs) will explore and analyse the principles of the new science curriculum enabling them to become effective practitioners who have a sound understanding of theory-based pedagogy. They will be given opportunities to critically reflect on the implication of recent reports into standards of science education in Wales and understand the importance of evidence practice within science.
ATs will study and critically evaluate a wide range of science pedagogies in Biology, Chemistry and Physics, thus enabling them to provide effective learning experiences in a range of educational contexts. The ATs will be provided with the knowledge and skills to develop learners’ thinking through problem based learning and dialogic teaching and to understand the key issue of assessing learners’ understanding of conceptual models and alternative frameworks in ensuring effective progression in learning.
The Secondary PGCE programme is designed to provide you with a deep understanding of how children and adolescents learn, and equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to develop as a creative and innovative teacher. You will learn about adolescent’s development through the Secondary sector and be supported to become an excellent teacher. This PGCE with QTS* is recognised across Wales and England and is often transferable* further afield for entry into the teaching profession. This course is also offered through the medium of Welsh.
Committed schools with well-trained mentors will support Associate Teachers’ progress towards Qualified Teacher Status in accordance with Professional Standards for Teaching and Leadership in Wales.
Experienced tutors and researchers in university and school based staff will provide excellent support and stimulating sessions, and the qualification gained will equip students to teach within and beyond Wales.
Students on this English medium course will be placed in English Medium Schools only and you do not need to speak Welsh, or live in Wales, to apply for the course. However as part of our commitment to bilingualism we will support you in your understanding of Welsh culture and your Welsh language learning, whether you are a complete beginner or a fluent user of the language.
*Those seeking to teach outside Wales and England should check recognition and transferability of Qualified Teacher Status with the respective country’s Teachers’ Professional Body.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details