- At least a 2:2 honours degree or equivalent in an area related to subject of study.
- Grade B/Grade 5 in the GCSE examination in any of the following: English Language, English Literature, Welsh Language (First Language), Welsh Literature. Where an equivalent to a grade B in either English Literature or Welsh Literature is achieved, a minimum of a grade C/grade 4 must be achieved in the corresponding GCSE examination in English or Welsh (First) Language.
- Grade B/Grade 5 in the GCSE Examination in Mathematics or Mathematics-Numeracy must also be achieved.
- GCSE grade B equivalency tests in English and mathematics are available to applicants for admission to the teacher education courses for the next academic session at Bangor University. Applicants wishing to undertake the equivalency test must already have a grade C at GCSE standard.
- A willingness and positive attitude towards seeking to improve personal use of the Welsh Language.
Months of entry
Associate Teachers (ATs) will explore and analyse the principles of the new science curriculum enabling them to become effective practitioners who have a sound understanding of theory-based pedagogy. They will be given opportunities to critically reflect on the implication of recent reports into standards of science education in Wales and understand the importance of evidence practice within science.
ATs will study and critically evaluate a wide range of science pedagogies in Biology, Chemistry and Physics, thus enabling them to provide effective learning experiences in a range of educational contexts. The ATs will be provided with the knowledge and skills to develop learners’ thinking through problem based learning and dialogic teaching and to understand the key issue of assessing learners’ understanding of conceptual models and alternative frameworks in ensuring effective progression in learning.
The Secondary PGCE programme is designed to provide you with a deep understanding of how children and adolescents learn, and equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to develop as a creative and innovative teacher. You will learn about adolescent’s development through the Secondary sector and be supported to become an excellent teacher.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details