- At least a 2:2 honours degree or equivalent in an area related to subject of study.
- Grade C/Grade 4 in the GCSE examination in any of the following: English Language, English Literature, Welsh First Language, Welsh Literature.
- Grade C/Grade 4 in the GCSE Examination in Mathematics or Mathematics-Numeracy must also be achieved.
- A willingness and positive attitude towards seeking to improve personal use of the Welsh Language.
- Applicants are required to undergo an enhanced DBS check for the child workforce including a check of the children’s barred lists. Applicants who have lived outside the UK are also required to undertake a criminal records check in their countries of residence.
- Applicants should reflect carefully on their ability to meet the rigours and demands of the profession. Refer to the Considerations for Applicants to Initial Teacher Education Programmes.
- We also welcome applications from mature applicants, individuals with European qualifications and international applicants (subject to minimum English language requirements - IELTS Level 7 overall (with no element below 6.5).
Months of entry
Associate Teachers (ATs) will explore and analyse the principles of the new science curriculum enabling them to become effective practitioners who have a sound understanding of theory-based pedagogy. They will be given opportunities to critically reflect on the implication of recent reports into standards of science education in Wales and understand the importance of evidence practice within science.
ATs will study and critically evaluate a wide range of science pedagogies in Biology, Chemistry and Physics, thus enabling them to provide effective learning experiences in a range of educational contexts. The ATs will be provided with the knowledge and skills to develop learners’ thinking through problem based learning and dialogic teaching and to understand the key issue of assessing learners’ understanding of conceptual models and alternative frameworks in ensuring effective progression in learning.
The Secondary PGCE programme is designed to provide you with a deep understanding of how children and adolescents learn, and equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to develop as a creative and innovative teacher. You will learn about adolescent’s development through the Secondary sector and be supported to become an excellent teacher.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Bangor University