You should have a primary qualification in Dentistry - BDS or equivalent, plus two years full time (or equivalent) post qualification clinical practice of dentistry, including 6 months full time experience in Oral & Maxillo-facial surgery and paediatric dentistry or restorative dentistry.
Months of entry
If you are a dental graduate who wants to pursue a career in orthodontics this programme is for you. The Professional Doctorate Programme in Orthodontics provides an integrated three years training for dentists who aspire to be specialists, either in primary or secondary services, or clinical academics of the future. The DClinDent Degree integrates academic activities with clinical practice and research up to level 8 of FHEQ and covers all the topics in the GDC (UK) Specialist Curriculum. The degree is full-time and will provide a sound basis for developing an academic career and for preparing for a career as a specialist in the discipline of Orthodontics.
The three-year full-time DClinDent Degree programme has a strong emphasis on close chair-side support.
You will undertake the Final DClinDent examination (University of London) during the third year and may separately choose to also undertake the external Membership (MOrth) examination, with the Royal College of Surgeons.
This programme will:
- Familiarise you with up-to-date, novel and evidence based clinical practices in Orthodontics
- Provide research training to professional doctorate level allowing you to develop critical appraisal skills in relation to published literature and undertake a research project, under direct supervision
- Provides you hands-on clinical training with children and adolescents
- Enable you to understand the biomechanical principles of tooth movement
- Enable you to understand the development, growth and influence of the skeletal and soft tissues on the dentition
- Allow you to develop an understanding of the importance of materials science in orthodontics
- Teach you how to formulate a diagnosis of malocclusion and an appropriate treatment plan
- Let you apply the theory and practice of clinical orthodontics to treat a variety of malocclusions.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time36 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Institute of Dentistry
- +44 (0)20 7882 8930