Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- Current registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) or Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) or the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC)
- 3 years post-registration clinical experience will be required. This experience needs to be related to the clinical environment within which you will be working at an advanced practice level
- Evidence of study at Level 6 in relevant subject area gained within the previous 5 years
- Employed in a role where there is an agreement from the employing organisation that the applicant will be supported and developed to work at an advanced practice level. This will include the need to allow protected learning time for both attendance at University and additional time for practice learning
- Identification of a clinical supervisor.
Months of entry
Advanced clinical practitioners are experienced clinicians who demonstrate expertise in their scope of practice (Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education, 2018). Advanced clinical practice is delivered by experienced, registered health and care practitioners and is a level of practice characterised by a high degree of autonomy and complex decision making (Health Education England (HEE), 2017).
Through evolving professional roles, practitioners are increasingly encouraged to develop advanced clinical skills, critical thinking and problem solving which enables them to meet the changing needs of patients through the development of new, accessible approaches to care and service delivery. This innovative course is designed to inform, enhance and develop practitioners’ advancing clinical roles, incorporating the four pillars of advanced practice; clinical practice; leadership and management; education and research (HEE, 2017).
You will be supported within the University setting as well as your own organisation to build on existing professional skills, knowledge and experience in order to develop the advanced skill set required of an autonomous practitioner, whilst meeting the complexity of modern healthcare challenges. Provision of opportunities to investigate, critically appraise and understand the evidence base for practice will develop your critical awareness, in order to further improve and advance practice through strategic development, leadership, education and innovation. You will be required to identify a clinical supervisor who will be able to support you throughout the course.
We are committed to providing excellent, innovative, learning, teaching and assessment experiences. We use technology to enhance your learning, through lectures, seminars, skills, simulation and virtual learning. Engagement of practice partners and service users in all areas of learning, teaching and assessment is integral to our approach. Our evidence based curriculum will empower you to develop and maintain high quality, safe and effective interdisciplinary advanced clinical practice provision.
Information for international students
This course is not open to International students.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time36 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Pre-entry Enquiries Team
- +44 (0)121 331 5595