The general University entrance requirement for registration for a research degree is normally a First or Upper Second Class Honours degree.
Months of entry
January, December, November, October, September, August, July, June, May, April, March, February
Research students are welcomed to Brunel as valued members of our thriving, research-intensive community. A research degree provides the opportunity to investigate a topic in depth, and contribute new knowledge to your discipline. We welcome all multidisciplinary topics in the area of Welfare, Health and Wellbeing. Examples of our research areas are listed below. From 2017 studentships may be available to suitably qualified applicants through our membership of the ESRC –funded Grand Union Doctoral Training Partnership.
A PhD involves demonstrating through original research or other advanced scholarship the creation and interpretation of new knowledge, a systematic acquisition and understanding of a substantial body of knowledge at the forefront of an academic discipline or professional practice, the ability to conceptualise, design and implement a project for the general of new knowledge, applications or understanding at the forefront of the discipline.
MPhil degree option
An MPhil involves the exploration of a research topic and is typically studied over a shorter period of 1 year for a full-time student and 2 years for a part-time student. MPhil students are required to demonstrate a systematic understanding of knowledge and a critical awareness of current problems and/or new insights informed by the forefront of their discipline, field of study or professional practice.
Researchers in the Welfare, Health and Wellbeing theme work in the UK and internationally to improve knowledge of the social processes that contribute to people’s welfare, health and wellbeing. We address these challenges through robust, ethical research and by developing innovative methodologies to advance how research, knowledge production and evaluation are conducted. We have strong connections with policy making and practice, and a commitment to social impact and public engagement. Our established research areas include:
- Health behaviour, experiences and interventions
- Sport, physical activity, health and wellbeing
- Social change and wellbeing in the global south
- Youth welfare, health and wellbeing
- Media, communication and representation in health and wellbeing
- Wellbeing experiences and evidence
ESRC-funded studentships through the GUDTP Health and Wellbeing Pathway
Many of our research areas are eligible for studentships awarded through our membership of the Health and Wellbeing Pathway of the ESRC-funded Grand Union Doctoral Training Partnership (GUDTP). We welcome enquiries about potential topics in the area of Health and Wellbeing; the list below is by no means exhaustive but gives examples of current and recent opportunities:
- Community sport and wellbeing: a qualitative perspective
- The impact of community sport programmes on young people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Addressing health and wellbeing inequalities through sport and physical activity
- Developing sport development: online collaborative training for staff working in national/international sport development-based charities
- Sexual Health Promotion: a comparative study of methods for reaching young people.
- Improving LGBT Health Through Good Practice in Health Promotion
- Anti-violence Interventions With Young People: Evaluating a sexual consent campaign
- Switched on and Connected? Loneliness And Young People – the well-being of young people in the digital age
Information for international students
English language requirements
- IELTS: 7 (min 6 in all areas)
- Pearson: 64 (51 in all subscores)
- BrunELT: 70% (min 60% in all areas)
Fees and funding
We offer a range of PhD studentships, partial scholarships, and academic prizes, to help with your research fees. Explore external funding, particularly the Research Councils, as well as other support.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1895 265599