For the 'experience' route you will need to have a relevant Bachelor's degree at 2:2 or above; approximately one year's classroom teaching experience. For the 'non- experience' route you will need to have a relevant Bachelor's degree at 2:2 or above and proven language learning ability.
Months of entry
Our MA TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) will help you obtain professional promotion to positions in TESOL where MA qualifications are necessary or desirable.
- develop your teaching expertise and an understanding of many approaches to teaching English as a foreign, second or other language
- become familiar with a wide range of literature about the field of teaching English
- develop an ability to present an argument in an academic context
- learn how to carry out research related to many aspects of TESOL
The course offers:
- a taught first stage, the Postgraduate Diploma TESOL
- a second dissertation stage with an individual tutor
- a chance to exchange views about TESOL with international colleagues on ‘experience’ and ‘non- experience’ routes
- a substantial core of modules and a variety of Elective modules
- if you have appropriate qualifications, the chance to obtain TEFL Q status on the Teaching Practice module
- an excellent combination of theory and practice
Information for international students
For both routes, if your mother tongue is not English you will need to have IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
Fees and funding
For up to date fee and loan information please visit our website.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- School of Language Studies and Applied Linguistics