Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
About City, University of London
City, University of London is a leading global institution located in the heart of London, committed to academic excellence and focused on business and the professions.
With skill and dedication, City has been using education, research and enterprise to transform the lives of students, community and the world for over 125 years.
City, University of London is a leading international university and the only university in London to be both committed to academic excellence and focused on business and the professions. City has a long tradition of academic excellence, dating back to its foundation in 1894. City is made up of five different academic Schools:
Why choose City, University of London?
- Founded in 1894, City is over 125 years old and has been part of the University of London since 2016
- Ranked 3rd in London for student satisfaction (Complete University Guide 2020)
- 76% of City's research submissions are rated of world-leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*) quality (REF 2014)
- The Greenest university in London (People and Planet University League 2019)
- Awarded Silver in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework
- Located in the heart of London, one of Europe’s most vibrant cities
- City attracts close to 20,000 students from over 160 countries and academic staff from over 75 countries.
City, University of London offers a wide range of taught and research postgraduate degrees, with every member of the postgraduate community benefiting from outstanding academic staff, comprehensive student support and tailored careers guidance.
A postgraduate degree, whether taught or research provides students with opportunities to deepen their understanding of their chosen subject and explore particular areas of interest, while developing valuable transferable skills, including analytical thinking and research and presentation techniques.
In keeping with City’s close links with business and the professions, many of the postgraduate degrees are offered on a part-time and flexible basis, allowing students to manage their study around employment commitments. City offers over 150 taught postgraduate degrees, each developed by academic staff who are experts in their fields and who possess an in-depth understanding of the graduate employment marketplace.
Undertaking a research degree is both challenging and rewarding. At City, students join a community who share a desire to broaden their skills and push boundaries in their fields.
Postgraduate events at City
City regularly holds on-campus Postgraduate Open Evening events and online information sessions throughout the year which are designed to give prospective students the opportunity to explore a global university with unrivalled industry links and a long-standing tradition in postgraduate education.
The on-campus Postgraduate Open Evenings provide an opportunity to meet academics and receive an insight into the courses they teach, receive guidance on the application process, and chat with current students about their experience at City. Student services such as careers, funding, library and accommodation will also be on hand during the event to advise on the support available. Register now.
City also hosts a series of subject specific and general information sessions online throughout the year for those who cannot visit in person. New dates are continuously added so check City’s website regularly for updates. The sessions are delivered by academics, current students and student services and provide opportunities to ask questions and learn more about City. Register now.
Please note, due to COVID-19 restrictions, City are currently hosting all of the Postgraduate Open Evenings and information sessions virtually.
Digitally explore our campus and facilities from your mobile device or computer by taking our 360 Virtual Tour on your mobile phone or desktop computer:
The resources and facilities provided by Library Services are integral to the student experience and academic journey at City, University of London. The main Northampton Square Library occupies five floors in the University Building and there are specialist libraries for the Business School (formerly Cass) and The City Law School.
City’s innovative learning spaces offer a mix of individual and group study areas to suit everybody’s learning needs. There are over 1,500 individual study spaces, many equipped with PC workstations, with approximately 200 spaces for group study. Group study rooms are equipped with audio-visual equipment to help students prepare presentations and share and discuss their ideas with colleagues.
City’s dynamic library collections are shaped by student demand. Subject librarians are dedicated to supporting students throughout their course by directing them towards the resources to complete their assignments and prepare for examinations. Specialist support is available through enquiry points, online chat service, one-to-one tutorials and workshops to help students locate, access and use the resources they need.
Library Services provide a range of support for students with additional needs. Facilities include software for students with visual impairments, inspiration mind-mapping and voice recognition software. This provision is available in specialist rooms at the Northampton Square Library.
Leading-edge technologies and 24-hour IT support ensure every student benefits from excellent IT facilities. Students receive a Microsoft Office 365 account, an email account for life, alongside access to a range of facilities such as video calls, online storage and the full Microsoft Office suite for the duration of their studies.
Campus-wide wireless network provision enables students to connect to services from their own devices and City’s computer laboratories. With more than 140 different desktop applications, students have wide access to the software required for their studies. Some laboratories are open 24 hours a day and students can use City’s website to find available machines at any time of day.
University of London facilities
City’s membership of the University of London gives students access to a range of other libraries, including Senate House Library which offers additional online resources.
Fees and funding
Student fees may vary depending upon the subject and qualification. Visit City’s website for up-to-date fee information as well as details on available scholarships and bursaries.
Chat to a City student today
For prospective students hoping to get a closer look at what it’s like to be a student at City, there is a team of student ambassadors who are available to answer questions. The chat feature allows students to select a preferred course of interest, as well as a country of origin. This provides students with a unique and personalised insight into studying at City. Chat to a student now.
Much of the City campus is located on the cusp of some of London’s most vibrant neighbourhoods: design-focused Clerkenwell, Islington’s fashionable Upper Street and the high-tech creative communities of Old Street and Shoreditch. Tree-lined avenues and green spaces offer contrast to the vibrant street life, bars and restaurants of Exmouth Market and Hoxton Square, while the nearby Barbican Centre is a world-famous architectural and cultural landmark.
Further afield, the Business School (formerly Cass) occupies a prime location in the City of London’s financial hub, making it the ideal postgraduate study base for professionals working in the Square Mile.
From shops, cafés and restaurants to museums, galleries and arts venues; from sports clubs to nightclubs; from cityscapes to public gardens, London is a city for everyone. Celebrated as a truly global destination, with a diverse cultural mix, iconic landmarks and a unique energy, it is an exuberant and exciting place to live and has been named the best student city in the world (QS Best Student Cities 2019). Far-reaching connections and close ties with institutions around the world position City as a truly international university.
City’s location in the centre of one of the most diverse and fast-paced cities in the world, combined with its highly international community of students and staff, mean the institution has developed close links with an extensive network of global academic partners.
From radiography to criminology, engineering to an MBA, City offers postgraduate and research courses to advance students’ careers.
One of City’s greatest strengths is their links to business and industry and expanding these links is central to their future strategy. City offers skills-focused degrees that embed employability within the curriculum and was recently ranked 7th in London for a career after six months (Guardian University Guide 2020). Alongside employability, City are focused on setting up new interdisciplinary research centres that will produce solutions to some of the biggest challenges that society faces.
- School of Arts & Social Sciences: The School of Arts & Social Sciences has a world class reputation for dynamic, inspiring and rigorous postgraduate education. Academic staff at the School are highly regarded in their fields and the research they undertake regularly informs academic debate and political policy at a national, regional and international level.
- The Business School (formerly Cass): the Business School has been at the forefront of business education for 50 years. Located in the heart of one of the world’s leading financial centres, it is part of an elite group of business schools to have been awarded triple accreditation by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB); the Association of MBAs (AMBA); and the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS).
- The School of Health Sciences: The School is a leading provider of postgraduate education in healthcare and health and social care policy and practice. Postgraduate students learn with academic staff who are clinical practitioners and engaged in interdisciplinary research across the fields of nursing, midwifery, health policy, psychology, management and research, optometry, public health, radiography and language and communication science. Their work is transforming the provision of healthcare services in the UK and internationally.
- The City Law School: The School is one of London’s major law schools and offers an impressive range of academic and professional courses. Located in the heart of legal London, the School was the first in London to educate students and practitioners at all stages of legal education. At the postgraduate level, the School’s high-quality courses for law and non-law graduates are highly regarded by the profession.
- The School of Mathematics, Computer Science & Engineering: The School has been offering outstanding courses tailored to the needs of the professions for more than 100 years. Postgraduate students are led by academics who are at the forefront of research and enterprise activity in their fields.
The Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 rated 76% of City's submissions as being of world-leading (4*) and internationally excellent (3*) quality.
Today, as part of the University of London federation, City’s research and enterprise activities are more exciting and diverse than ever and our staff are passionate about the vital role that research plays in exploring and disseminating new ideas. Ground-breaking research takes place within City’s Schools and departments, in specialist research centres, with academics often collaborating in interdisciplinary research. Since 2011, City has invested in research-excellent academics whose work has a wider impact on society.
By choosing City, students choose to study at the heart of the action, in a place where world-changing research is taking place and where they benefit from working with academics who are leaders in their fields.
- Social media accounts