About City, University of London
City, University of London is a leading global institution located in the heart of London, committed to academic excellence and focused on business and the professions.
With skill and dedication, we have been using education, research and enterprise to transform the lives of our students, our community and the world for over 125 years.
City, University of London is a leading international university and the only university in London to be both committed to academic excellence and focused on business and the professions. We have a long tradition of academic excellence, dating back to our foundation in 1894. City, University of London is made up of five different schools:
Why choose City, University of London?
- Founded in 1894, City is over 125 years old and has been part of the University of London since 2016
- Ranked 3rd in London for student satisfaction (Complete University Guide 2020)
- 76% of City's research submissions are rated of world-leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*) quality (REF 2014)
- The Greenest university in London (People and Planet University League 2019)
- Awarded Silver in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework
- Located in the heart of London, one of Europe’s most vibrant cities
- City attracts close to 20,000 students from over 160 countries and academic staff from over 75 countries.
City, University of London offers a wide range of taught and research postgraduate degrees, with every member of our postgraduate community benefiting from outstanding academic staff, comprehensive student support and tailored careers guidance.
A postgraduate degree, whether taught or research will give you an opportunity to deepen your understanding of your chosen subject and explore particular areas of interest, while developing valuable transferable skills, including analytical thinking and research and presentation techniques.
In keeping with City’s close links with business and the professions, many of our postgraduate degrees are offered on a part-time and flexible basis, allowing you to manage your study around employment commitments. City offers over 150 taught postgraduate degrees, each developed by academic staff who are experts in their fields and who possess an in-depth understanding of the graduate employment marketplace.
Undertaking a research degree is both challenging and rewarding. At City, you will join a community of research students who share a desire to broaden their skills and push boundaries in their fields.
Postgraduate events at City
We regularly hold on-campus Postgraduate Open Evening events and online information sessions throughout the year which are designed to give prospective students the opportunity to explore a global university with unrivalled industry links and a long-standing tradition in postgraduate education.
Our on-campus Postgraduate Open Evenings will give you the opportunity to meet academics and receive an insight into the courses they teach, receive guidance on the application process, and chat with current students about their experience at City. Student services such as Careers, Funding, Library and Accommodation will be also on hand to advise on the support available to you during the event. Register now.
We also host a series of subject specific and general online information sessions online throughout the year for those who cannot visit us in person. New dates are continuously added so please check our website regularly for updates. The sessions are delivered by our academics, current students and student services, and enable you to ask questions and learn more about City from the comfort of your own home. Register now.
Chat to a City student today
Do you want to know what it’s like to be a student at City? We have a team of current student ambassadors who are available to answer your questions today. The chat feature allows you to filter by your preferred course of interest and country of origin, so you will be able to make contact with the students who can give you the best insight into studying at City. Chat to a student now.
Much of the City campus is located on the cusp of several of London’s most vibrant neighbourhoods: design-focused Clerkenwell, Islington’s fashionable Upper Street and the high-tech creative communities of Old Street and Shoreditch. Tree-lined avenues and green spaces offer contrast to the vibrant street life, bars and restaurants of Exmouth Market and Hoxton Square, while the nearby Barbican Centre is a world-famous architectural and cultural landmark.
Further afield, Cass Business School occupies a prime location in the City of London’s financial hub, making it the ideal postgraduate study base for professionals working in the Square Mile.
From shops, cafés and restaurants to museums, galleries and arts venues; from sports clubs to nightclubs; from cityscapes to public gardens, London is a city for everyone. Celebrated as a truly global destination, with a diverse cultural mix, iconic landmarks and a unique energy, it is an exuberant and exciting place to live. Far-reaching connections and close ties with institutions around the world position City as a truly international university.
City’s location in the centre of one of the most diverse and fast-paced cities in the world, combined with its highly international community of students and staff, mean the institution has developed close links with an extensive network of global academic partners.
City University London offers a wide range of full-time undergraduate and postgraduate courses for international students.
Whether you are interested in radiography or criminology, engineering or an MBA, we can offer you the postgraduate or research course you need to start your career. City, University of London offers over 150 postgraduate degree courses to choose from that will help you develop your career.
Postgraduate subjects include:
- Business and management
- Speech and language therapy
- School of Arts and Social Sciences: The School of Arts and Social Sciences has a world class reputation for dynamic, inspiring and rigorous postgraduate education. Academic staff at the School are highly regarded in their fields and the research they undertake regularly informs academic debate and political policy at a national, regional and international level
- Cass Business School: Sir John Cass Business School has been at the forefront of business education for 50 years. Located in the heart of one of the world’s leading financial centres, Cass is part of an elite group of business schools to have been awarded triple accreditation by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB); the Association of MBAs (AMBA); and the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS).
- The School of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering: has been offering outstanding courses tailored to the needs of the professions for more than 100 years. Postgraduate students are led by academics who are at the forefront of research and enterprise activity in their fields.
- The School of Health Sciences: is a leading provider of postgraduate education in healthcare and health and social care policy and practice. Postgraduate students learn with academic staff who are clinical practitioners and engaged in interdisciplinary research across the fields of nursing, midwifery, health policy, psychology, management and research, optometry, public health, radiography and language and communication science. Their work is transforming the provision of healthcare services in the UK and internationally.
- The City Law School: is one of London’s major law schools and offers an impressive range of academic and professional courses. Located in the heart of legal London, the school was the first in London to educate students and practitioners at all stages of legal education. At the postgraduate level, the school’s high-quality courses for law and non-law graduates are highly regarded by the profession.
The Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 rated 76% of City's submissions as being of world-leading (4*) and internationally excellent (3*) quality.
Today, as part of the University of London federation, our research and enterprise activities are more exciting and diverse than ever and our staff are passionate about the vital role that research plays in exploring and disseminating new ideas. Ground breaking research takes place within City’s Schools and Departments, in specialist research centres, with academics often collaborating in interdisciplinary research. Since 2011, City has invested in research-excellent academics whose work has a wider impact on society.
By choosing City, you are choosing to study at the heart of the action, in a place where world-changing research is taking place and where you will benefit from working with academics who are leaders in their fields.
English Language Requirements
- Undergraduate: IELTS (6.0-7.0) or TOEFL (79-107/600) is required
- Postgraduate: IELTS (6.5-7.0) or TOEFL (100-107/600) is required
Applicants must have a minimum of three years full-time work experience gained after graduation and a well-balanced GMAT score of 600 or above.
Please navigate to this webpage to learn more about country-specific entry requirements.
Applicants holding a Certificado de Ensino Médio will need to have taken a recognised one-year foundation course before entering an undergraduate course at City. The International Foundation Programme is a one-year programme giving guaranteed entrance to a number of City courses.
Applicants are expected to hold a good bacharel/licenciado degree from a recognised institution.
Successful completion of a recognised foundation programme or in some cases successful completion of the first year of a Chinese undergraduate degree with good grades.
Successful completion of a Chinese undergraduate degree with good grades (around 75-85 per cent depending on programme) from a recognised institution.
Applications from Year 12 students will be accepted provided they have taken the CBSE, CISCE, Maharashtra, West Bengal or Tamil Nadu boards' examinations and achieved an average of between 80 and 85 per cent.
Requirements are for a first class honours degree or equivalent from a recognised institution.
Entry to undergraduate programmes at City is suitable for students who have completed a recognised foundation programme. D2/D3 Diploma holders will be considered on a case by case basis.
Applicants with Sarjana (S1) with good grades will be considered for entry to postgraduate programmes on a case-by-case basis. Applicants who do not meet requirements for direct entry may be eligible to enrol on a graduate diploma prior to the masters course.
Applicants with good Junior College Diploma grades will be considered for entry. Applicants with a High School Diploma and a recognised foundation programme will also be considered for entry.
Applicants should hold an honours degree from a recognised Korean institution for entry to a postgraduate programme.
Applicants who have completed the Tawjihiyya will need to complete a recognised one-year foundation course before entering an undergraduate course at City.
Applicants should have completed a relevant undergraduate degree from a recognised institution.
Applicants from Thailand will need to take a recognised one-year foundation course before entering an undergraduate course at City.
Applicants are expected to hold a good four-year bachelors degree from a prestigious institution in Thailand.
For most courses students who have completed the Lise Diplomasi at one of a selected number of schools.
Holders of a Lisans Diplomasi from a recognised university or institution will be considered for entry to a postgraduate degree. Most programmes require a minimum GPA of at least 3.0.
In most cases applicants must complete a recognised foundation programme following completion of the Upper Secondary School Graduation Certificate (bang tot ng hiep pho tong).
Applicants with a good bachelor’s degree (bang tot nghiep dai hoc) from a recognised institution will be considered for entry.
- Social media accounts