a UK first or upper second class honours degree (BSc) or equivalent
- In Physics or a subject with basic physics courses OR
- In Computer Science OR
- In Mathematics OR
- In any natural sciences with a strong quantitative element.
Months of entry
Advances in fields such as Physics, Engineering or Earth Sciences is increasingly driven by those most skilled in computational techniques. Notably, people skilled to write codes for the most powerful computers in the world and skilled to process the biggest data sets in the world make a difference.
The MSc Scientific Computing and Data Analysis is intended to provide Masters-level education in Computer Science aspects of scientific computing (algorithms, data structures, implementation techniques and computer tool usage), in Mathematical aspects of data analysis and application knowledge in the chosen specialisation domain.
The course is designed along five core educational aims:
- Train the next generation of research-affine data and computational scientists and engineers for the UK high tech sector; they have to be equipped with a very solid understanding of the underlying computing technologies and methodologies
- Equip you with the skills and knowledge to apply successfully for further higher education programmes (PhD) with a strong computing and data flavour in Durham or outstanding international institutions
- Provide you with the opportunity to obtain a deep insight into the state-of-the-art in the respective application domain with respect to computational and data challenges
- Enable you to bridge the widening gap between application domains, big data challenges and high-performance computing once you have mastered the course
- Make you aware of the societal, economical and ethical responsibilities, opportunities and implications tied to massive data processing and compute power; this includes training on entrepreneurship.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)191 334 1000