- The equivalent of a UK upper second class honours degree of which approximately 50% is comprised of English or a closely related subject
- Significant and relevant subject knowledge and recent experience of the English teaching environment
- A demonstrable interest and involvement in the lives and development of young people
- GCSE English and Mathematics at Grade C or above (or equivalent) which must be achieved at the time of application
Months of entry
The PGCE Secondary is the first phase of a career-long process of personal and professional development, which will equip you to become a secondary school teacher. The PGCE Secondary is a course in Initial Teacher Training which is accredited by the DfE, the successful completion of which will accord you Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Our course has recently been inspected by Ofsted which resulted in an “Outstanding” grading for all aspects of our provision.
Subject pedagogy is explored in curriculum groups, examining techniques for making each subject accessible and stimulating in a classroom environment.
Our popular English course aims to:
- provide you with the necessary knowledge, understanding and skills needed to become an effective and innovative teacher of English
- extend your awareness of the range and scope of English as a subject in schools today
- provide opportunities for you to experience and explore a variety of approaches to teaching the subject
- allow you to develop an appreciation of your own strengths and weaknesses
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- School of Education
- +44(0)191 334 8406