To join this PGCE, you will be expected to have:
- A degree equivalent to UK first-class or second-class honours (2:2 or above) in a relevant subject. Other subjects may be considered if you have an A Level (or equivalent qualification) in a relevant subject and a willingness to engage in a subject knowledge enhancement course.
- GCSE English Language and GCSE Mathematics at Grade C or Grade 4 or above (or equivalent qualification).
- Satisfactory levels of Information and Communications Technology competence.
- A commitment to, and understanding of, secondary education, demonstrating the personal attributes, values and motivation required to train as a teacher.
Please note, for the purposes of initial teacher training, level 2 literacy and numeracy qualifications are not considered as equivalent to GCSE Grade C or Grade 4 in English Language and Mathematics.
If you accept a formal offer from Edge Hill University you will be required to meet the Department for Education’s standards for physical and mental fitness to teach and clearance to work with children. Further information, including a Declaration of Health questionnaire and details of how to apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure will be sent to you after you have firmly accepted an offer.
Months of entry
Role models are so important when it comes to keeping young people active. Will you rise to the challenge in the classroom? You’ll be eager to showcase your enthusiasm for physical education in schools and share the benefits of movement on the body and mind.
Our PGCE Secondary Physical Education course will prepare you for the rigours of teaching physical education in secondary settings. You’ll already have an undergraduate degree in a related area, so we’ll focus on helping you develop the skills you need to engage young people with the subject.
We’ve designed this course so you can combine learning on campus with practical experience in the classroom. You’ll spend a significant part of your PGCE year on placement in school settings. Whenever you need support or feedback, you can turn to your subject specific tutors and school-based expert mentor. We’re here to help you become the best teacher you can be.
Discover the most effective ways of delivering your lessons and captivating your students. At the same time, develop your understanding of subject specific approaches, classroom management, adaptive teaching and the different ways pupils learn.
Successful completion of the programme leads to a recommendation for the Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44(0)1695 575171