To join this PGCE, you will be expected to have:
- A degree equivalent to UK first-class or second-class honours (2:2 or above) in a relevant subject. Other subjects may be considered if you have an A Level in a relevant subject (or equivalent qualification).
- GCSE English Language and GCSE Mathematics at Grade C or Grade 4 or above (or equivalent qualification)
- Satisfactory levels of information and communications technology competence
- A commitment to, and understanding of, secondary education, demonstrating the personal attributes, values and motivation required to train as a teacher.
For the purposes of initial teacher training, level 2 literacy and numeracy qualifications are not considered as equivalent to GCSE Grade C or Grade 4 in English Language and Mathematics.
If you accept a formal offer from Edge Hill University you will be required to meet the Department for Education’s standards for physical and mental fitness to teach and clearance to work with children. Further information, including a Declaration of Health questionnaire and details of how to apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure will be sent to you after you have firmly accepted an offer.
Months of entry
What are the dangers of radiation? How does gravity work? Why are metals good conductors? As a teacher, you’ll help young people discover the answers and understand the fundamentals of physics.
Train to teach in one year with our PGCE Secondary Science (Physics) course. We’ll make sure you develop the academic, professional and vocational skills you need to become a competent and confident physics teacher. Turn to your Personal Tutor whenever you need extra advice or help overcoming hurdles.
Planning lessons, managing a classroom and understanding different teaching methods will all be key for your future career. Learn from our experts then apply what you’ve learnt out on professional practice in schools. During your school placements, you’ll plan, teach, and assess physics lessons with support from your school-based mentor.
We’ll be there for you every step of the way as you work towards taking the lead in the classroom. You’ll leave us ready to pique young people’s interest in the world around them as they develop practical and analytical scientific skills.
Successful completion of the programme leads to a recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status.
Subject knowledge enhancement
If you need to develop your physics subject knowledge or it has been some time since you last studied physics, then our free subject knowledge enhancement course will prepare you for teaching the conceptual and applied aspects of physics effectively to learners aged 11-16 years.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44(0)1695 575171