All applications are considered on an individual basis. Students would normally be expected to hold an honours degree. Applicants with qualifications other than a first degree, and those without formal qualifications or accreditation but with substantial, relevant professional experience are also encouraged to apply.
As part of the application process you will be asked to submit a description of your prior experience, motivations for studying the course and how you believe it will develop your career aspirations.
Within your application you will be expected to demonstrate sufficient previous and current practice in supporting student learning in Higher Education (HE). As a guideline, we expect applicants to be actively engaged in supporting student learning in HE for a minimum of 50 hours over the course’s duration, and be able to evidence this.
Months of entry
This PGCHE responds to the growing focus of Higher Education on developing excellence in teaching and learning, especially teaching and learning that is not solely concerned with traditional face-to-face delivery but instead combines this with the digital advantages of e-learning. It will develop your practice in line with the rise in blended learning and equip you with the relevant skills, knowledge and reflective expertise to support you within your role in both digital and face-to-face teaching and learning contexts. For those solely teaching face-to-face it will both help you develop your current face-to-face teaching and introduce you to blended learning and the widely acknowledged benefits, so that you consider incorporating this into your own practice.
You will engage with your peers and scholarship to ensure you develop as a creative, confident, competent and committed teaching and learning practitioner that is able to learn from both your own work and examples of best practice.
Delivered online, you will benefit from our ‘learning by doing’ approach and discover through your own learning experience, what it’s like to learn and teach, both face-to-face and online.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Push the limits of your practice by being allowed to try ideas and new initiatives, and take risks within a safe, supportive environment
- Become more confident in your practice and your ability to respond to the rapidly shifting HE sector and its growing emphasis on the student experience
- Benefit from studying online, where your peers may be from different countries, disciplines and backgrounds, allowing you to interact with new perspectives, and ideas of teaching and learning practice
- Develop your skills as a reflective practitioner, and your ability to innovate, and enrich your current practice in supporting student learning, by critically evaluating it in the light of pedagogical research, scholarship and policy
- Enhance your inclusive and flexible approach to teaching/supporting student learning
- Gain the confidence, knowledge and pedagogical fluency to be able to articulate why you are choosing to do what you’re doing to support student learning and to help ensure that your colleagues, students and managers respect and accept your approach
- Develop your knowledge and skills in using online and blended learning delivery to support and enhance student learning
- Develop your own supportive learning community and potential international professional networks of teaching and learning practitioners ,
- Gain the knowledge to be able to prepare applications for professional recognition from various professional bodies across different countries. Eg. a portfolio for Fellowship recognition (FHEA) from the Higher Education Academy (HEA) in the UK
- Gain an internationally recognised qualification for teaching and learning in Higher Education
- Enhance and maintain your confident, continuing professional development (CPD) in an informed and critically reflective teaching practice within a fast changing sector
The PGCHE has been designed in consultation with education professionals and external bodies for professional teaching and learning practice, such as the Higher Education Academy (HEA), to support critically informed and reflective practitioners able to shape the future of the sector.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Falmouth Flexible
- 01223 447713