All applicants should normally have a good honours degree in interior design, or equivalent professional practice. However, applications from individuals from other design backgrounds (graphic design, for example) will be considered on their own merits. The admissions requirements for the MDes in Interior Design are:
- a fully completed application form, including two references;
- submission of a 500 word written text outlining personal motivation for undertaking postgraduate study, and specific reasons for applying to this programme;
- submission of an annotated portfolio of work, of 25-30 images.
Candidates will be selected for a place on the programme on the basis of:
- meeting the minimum entry requirements specified above;
- demonstrating the appropriateness of the programme for their personal, intellectual and creative development;
- showing critical awareness, imaginative thinking, and an understanding of the challenges of postgraduate study in their personal statement;
- the quality of the portfolio of work, which must be of a suitable standard for masters level study;
- demonstrating the potential to contribute to the group dynamic of the programme.
Months of entry
A one-year taught programme, over the course of which students develop a reflective portfolio of work to a professional standard. Emphasis is placed on the exploration of fundamental issues facing the subject, the value of appropriate levels of technological intervention, and an understanding of the importance of disciplinary autonomy as well as inter-disciplinary dialogue.
Information for international students
Overseas applicants who are unable to attend for interview must submit the written statement and portfolio work. In addition, a telephone interview may be required. Overseas applicants for whom English is not their first language should normally obtain a minimum score of 6.0 in the IELTS test or equivalent.
Fees and funding
Please see the website for details.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Patrick Macklin