Applicants to MSc Product Design Engineering should normally have a 2.2 Honours degree or equivalent (eg GPA of 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject area (product design engineering, mechanical engineering, electronic and electrical engineering being of particular relevance) or equivalent professional practice. Depending on previous experience and qualifications, applicants may be asked to complete a design engineering assignment as part of the application.
Months of entry
The MSc in Product Design Engineering is collaboratively delivered between GSA's PDE department and two departments at the University of Glasgow's Faculty of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering (Mech Eng) and Electronics and Electrical Engineering (EEE), with curriculum delivery being equally split between the two institutions.
There are increasing pressures, from both existing and emerging world marketplaces, for products which not only respond to the needs of function, user and society, but which can be brought to market ever more rapidly through state-of-the-art development and manufacturing processes. Industries which develop, manufacture and market today's products need high-calibre graduates equipped to handle these processes with management skill and creative drive, and this programme develops graduates with these skills.
The MSc in Product Design Engineering aims to:
- Offer each individual student the opportunity to critically develop his or her own work in the context of a rigorous but supportive intellectual climate
- Acquire key skills in the areas of user-centred design, product design, mechanical engineering, and electronic and electrical engineering
- Encourage students to identify and explore key contextual issues relevant to their practice
- Develop students' awareness and knowledge base in design philosophy, theory, practice and research in the context of innovative forms of design
- Enable students to achieve the highest possible standards in their work, so that graduates have the confidence, maturity and intellectual and interpersonal skills necessary to function successfully in the design engineering field
- Equip students with the highly developed intellectual, practical and interpersonal skills deemed necessary for their career
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Craig Whittet