You must be able to demonstrate:
- a commitment to counselling as a profession
- an ability to sustain academic study
- the potential to develop those qualities essential to counselling, for example empathy and sense of self
Months of entry
An intensive foundation in counselling for those who meet elements of counselling in their day-to-day work and who wish to enter this field professionally.
This programme will give students an opportunity to learn the fundamentals of Psychodynamic Counselling if they currently lack sufficient experience and qualifications to study at a postgraduate diploma level.
The programme is taught by means of theoretical lectures, seminars, experiential workshops, and group tutorials. You’ll study key theoretical concepts that inform the practice of humanistic and psychodynamic counselling and will identify the specific responsibilities and processes of the counselling alliance.
The programme is particularly suitable for those who wish to apply to our MA in Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy.
Please note: Entry requirements for further qualification vary considerably between institutions. Students are expected to conduct their own research before applying
The programme covers
- Humanistic approaches to counselling, with special emphasis on the philosophy and influence of Carl Rogers
- Psychodynamic principles of counselling, with reference to growth and development, unconscious processes and intra-psychic conflicts
- The ethics of counselling: boundaries and responsibility
- Good practice and care for the counsellor: self-awareness, supervision and meeting your own needs
- Transcultural Counselling, looking into issues of diversity and dominance in the counselling relationship
Information for international students
We accept a wide range of international qualifications. Find out more about the qualifications we accept from around the world.
If English isn’t your first language, you will need an IELTS score (or equivalent English language qualification) of 6.0 with a 6.0 in writing and no element lower than 5.5 to study this programme. If you need assistance with your English language, we offer a range of courses that can help prepare you for postgraduate-level study.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Tali Lernau