Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Our minimum requirement is a first-class degree in physics, electrical or electronic engineering or a relevant science discipline.
All candidates must demonstrate a minimum level of English language proficiency for admission to the College.
For admission to this course, you must achieve the standard College requirement in the appropriate English language qualification. For details of the minimum grades required to achieve this requirement, please see the English language requirements for postgraduate applicants.
Months of entry
Photonics is an exciting area of physics, which enables developments in fields as diverse as biomedical imaging and high power fibre lasers.
The Department of Physics has a long and successful research record in imaging and photonics.
Some funded studentships for the combined MRes and PhD programme are available to Home/EU students.
The MRes course runs from October to September each year.
It is aimed at students who wish to develop their research interests and skills in photonics. It will:
- give you the experience of undertaking a major, individual project and recording the results in a full scientific report and presentation
- train you in appropriate research methods
- develop your written and oral communication skills for both specialised and non-specialised audiences
- equip you for further academic study at doctoral level in photonics, and in subjects where photonics is an important enabling science
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Loli Sanchez
- +44 (0)20 7594 7512