Taught course

Clinical Research

Institution
Imperial College London · Faculty of Medicine
Qualifications
MResPGCert

Entry requirements

Our minimum requirement is a 2.1 degree in medicine or life sciences.

All candidates must demonstrate a minimum level of English language proficiency for admission to the College.

For admission to this course, you must achieve the higher College requirement in the appropriate English language qualification. For details of the minimum grades required to achieve this requirement, please see the English language requirements for postgraduate applicants.

Months of entry

September

Course content

The MRes in Clinical Research is an umbrella programme made up of three pathways. You choose to study one pathway from:

  1. Diabetes and Obesity - this pathway introduces modern investigative techniques including MRI and metabolomics and provides a deep understanding of the underlying pathophysiology of both types of diabetes, and obesity.
  2. Human Nutrition - this pathway provides a greater insight into the academic, clinical, practical, and regulatory requirements of human nutrition and introduces the latest in cutting-edge research.
  3. Translational Medicine - this pathway explores the challenges of research in non-drug interventional research, including regenerative medicine, and illustrate the use of humans as an experimental animal. You also have the opportunity to investigate why drugs fail in development.

For the MRes programme (90 ECTS), you will undertake four core modules, in addition to a fifth elective module that is specific to the pathway you choose. The taught aspect (exams, coursework and practicals) contributes to 30% of the overall mark, with the research aspect (proposal, thesis and oral exam) covering the remaining 70% weighting of the course. The research project topic will be based on your selected pathway.

The Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Research (30 ECTS) will comprise all taught modules only and does not include the research project.

The course is supported by both NHS clinical and Imperial College academic staff, who regularly review content and assessment methods. The programme is based at the Hammersmith campus, however, a very small number of students may undertake their projects at other campuses.

Qualification, course duration and attendance options

  • MRes
    full time
    12 months
    • Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
    part time
    24 months
    • Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
  • PGCert
    full time
    12 months
    • Campus-based learningis available for this qualification

Course contact details

Name
Fiona Bibby – Course Administrator
Email
f.bibby@imperial.ac.uk
Phone
+44 (0)20 3313 6114