Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A candidate for the Degree of EdD should:
- Hold a Masters Degree of this University or of another deemed equivalent; and
- Hold that qualification normally in the general field of education, policy and/or management and/or social sciences or its equivalent in professional experience and a professionally accredited programme; and
- Have access to email and the internet for the e-supported parts of the programme
There is no deadline for applications but you are strongly encouraged to apply before 1st August to secure your place and to receive the preliminary course information.
Months of entry
This programme has been specifically designed for professionals - practitioners, policy-makers, leaders and managers, academics and teachers - at all levels of education, from early childhood through further and higher education, to lifelong learning.
The Doctorate in Education is a 4-8 year part-time course, normally completed in 6 years. In the first two years you would be required to attend the university for taught modules. There are 5 modules in total, each of which is taught in 1-2 day blocks. Around this formal teaching, there are regular opportunities for face to face and e-mail support. In years 3 - 4 (and beyond where necessary) you would work under the guidance and support of a nominated supervisor to produce a thesis.
The programme has been specifically designed for professionals - practitioners, policy-makers, leaders and managers, academics and teachers - at all levels of education, from early childhood through further and higher education, to lifelong learning.
Specifically the EdD aims to:
- Promote an understanding of research evidence and methodologies relevant to professional practitioners
- Develop a critical awareness of the policy context in which professional practice takes place
- Enable participants to undertake a research study of relevance to their professional activities.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time48-96 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Tracey Harrison
- +44 (0) 1782 734256